McCoist : Sellik Are Light Years Ahead Of Rangers

McCoist was little short of a disaster as Rangers' manager, primarily for two reason, laziness and cynicism, and he has retained these characteristics in his forays into

commentary and punditry.

Edited by Uilleam

It's not pleasant losing your heroes but Ally McCoist is dead to me. All the truly great things he did as a player were undone by his pocket-filling antics and his deceit and incompetence as a manager. Many will disagree and I've no problem with that but that's how I feel about him.

The players he signed were poor (and were coached poorly). He had what the second biggest budget in scottish football. His tactical plan was to wait til the other team (of part time players) tired themselves out and then go for the win. He took home a massive wage and served up very little that was pleasing to the eye. When king and co finally got a hold of Rangers I thought he might of resigned from his contract and moved on, instead he continued to pocket the wage right to the end. Then there was the whole debacle of forgetting to vote because he was on holiday. That’s not great from stuff from a club legend. So when he talks about us being behind celtic, you can see why people get upset!

All a bit strange this. You see,if people watch us now, as opposed to last season, they will see a difference. Since I have seen the Scum about 4 or 5 times last season, but not this season, I can't tell whether they are as strong as they were back then.

A quick look at the results say a fine MD 1 win over a Hearts side in turmoil. Then they struggled to a 1-0 win at Firhill, where the hosts were denied a clear penalty late on. They wrestled Killie down 2-0 away (after hammering the same side 5-0 at the Scumhut a bit earlier in the League Cup. And last but not least, the Perth Saints almost snatched a win at the Scumhut, wasting a glorious chance to go 2-0 up and thus ending up drawing 1-1, after a late Yahoo flourish. Perhaps the Yahoos dominated all these games, but so too did we - more often than not. All this is telling us that we are early in the season. And again the Yahoos get the benefit of the doubt with some debatable decisions and but for a downright mad ref against Hibs, we'd probably a point behind them.

Now, one might say that the Scum shaded last seasons title with more than the proverbial country mile. Let's say 10. What they do not right now is being 9.461 trillion kilometres ahead of us. And that's but ONE light-year. You'd wish people would mind their words when making claims like that, but the art or reasonable speech and debate seems to be long forgotten, not least with media people ...

This season isn't (realistically) about winning the league. It's about closing that points gap between us & Ceptic, and hopefully giving them a scare along the way.

Ceptic are NOT (IMHO), the wonderful team that the media make out....it's just that the other teams in the league are unable to trouble them too much over a sustained period. They do have some good players, just the world beaters there made out to be.

Hopefully with the new intake of players this summer, we will be in a better position to challenge them, but more importantly we're better placed to take the vast majority of points of the other teams. If we do that, we'll remain in touch of them.

EXACTLY.

Given we spent 4 years outside the top flight and basically had to start afresh, last year we were NEVER going to challenge them because we were so far behind. We finished further behind than any of us would have imagined. This season is all about getting much closer to them and picking up the vast majority of points against the rest. Given where we were I don't think it is fair to expect us to return to the top flight and immediately challenge as that would have cost a ton of money. It is about "phases" for us.

Phase 1 - promoted to top flight. Done

Phase 2. Get close to Celtic. Not done

Phase 3. Challenge for title. Not done

Phase 4. Win title. Not done

We missed last year's target and it may have put us back a season. However, the recruitments this season fill me with at least a bit of confidence that we will be closer this season and will finish 2nd. 6 or 7 of our starting XI are new players (only Foderingham, Wallace, Tavernier, Windass & Miller are still starters - and I expect both of the latter two to get less time going forward, though possibly not Windass). Once the team gels I think we will see a team that will be very difficult to beat - we still need a creative spark but if teams cant score against us we only need one chance.

I don't think we will win the league this season but I do think we will be much closer than last season. That will then give Pedro the opportunity to strengthen in one or two areas rather than wholesale change. And, if we only need one or two bodies we MIGHT be in a position to spend a little bit more on higher quality.

So is everyone just lining up to have a kick at Ally for daring to speak the truth or do you actually disagree with what he said? Because if anyone doesn't think Celtic are light years ahead of us, both on and off the park, I'd be very surprised.

Or maybe some are frustrated and annoyed because Ally is actually a significant part of the reason we are so far away from them. He did, after all, decide he needed a squad full of internationals coming through the leagues and spent very little time bringing through youth and giving them the exposure whish could have seen them be integral parts of the squad now.

Ally went path of least resistance when it came to getting us through the division - he was a chequebook manager instead of coaching them to success.

Getting a fucken grip of yourself. McCoist is our club's record overall scorer, our top league scorer, our top league cup scorer and our top European scorer and has represented our club more times than any other human being except two. He's in our hall of fame, he's in the Scottish football hall of fame and he's in the the Scottish sport hall of fame. He represented his country 69 times and scored 19 goals. Whatever his shortcomings as a manager he helped hold our club together during some very difficult times. It's harder to think of someone more fitting of the term 'legend'.

But hey, you turn the other way in the street if you want.

But Gonzo's first point was valid.

Ally is spot on, we are miles behind Celtic. But you don't ever hear him accepting responsibility for his part in that situation.

Still a legend to me, and always will be. However, I can see why some would "turn the other way" - lest you forget the position he took at the AGM with the resolution to effectively rid us of Ashley.

All a bit strange this. You see,if people watch us now, as opposed to last season, they will see a difference. Since I have seen the Scum about 4 or 5 times last season, but not this season, I can't tell whether they are as strong as they were back then.

A quick look at the results say a fine MD 1 win over a Hearts side in turmoil. Then they struggled to a 1-0 win at Firhill, where the hosts were denied a clear penalty late on. They wrestled Killie down 2-0 away (after hammering the same side 5-0 at the Scumhut a bit earlier in the League Cup. And last but not least, the Perth Saints almost snatched a win at the Scumhut, wasting a glorious chance to go 2-0 up and thus ending up drawing 1-1, after a late Yahoo flourish. Perhaps the Yahoos dominated all these games, but so too did we - more often than not. All this is telling us that we are early in the season. And again the Yahoos get the benefit of the doubt with some debatable decisions and but for a downright mad ref against Hibs, we'd probably a point behind them.

Now, one might say that the Scum shaded last seasons title with more than the proverbial country mile. Let's say 10. What they do not right now is being 9.461 trillion kilometres ahead of us. And that's but ONE light-year. You'd wish people would mind their words when making claims like that, but the art or reasonable speech and debate seems to be long forgotten, not least with media people ...

We would actually, IMHO, be on the same points as them had Beaton not cheated us. We would have went on to win that game. We would be on 10 points from 4 games having had 3 wins and a draw from 4. Identical to them.

Regarding the Yahoos, we should always keep in mind that they had a VERY exceptional season last time around. It is rather unlikely that they will be able to repeat it, for various reasons. If you look at the preceding years, they weren't world beaters and their main personnell did not change. They recruited well - spending 10m last summer (plus Dembele on a free) - and stayed injury free with most of their star performers.

McCoist ... as with Hateley, Johnstone at times, Butcher, and Ferguson ... you'd wish that they would not undermine their hero status as players with at times rather witless attempts at being football experts and pundits. Too bad that McCann now has a full time job.

Edited by der Berliner