We Deserve Better - Rangers v Aberdeen

As for the game, I do assume that Cardoso and/or Alves are fit and will be playing, so the Murty - line up might differ a little there, but I'd bet my bottom Euro it will look like this (pending on Morelos' availability):

Foderingham

Tavernier - McCrorie - Alves - John

Jack

Candeias - Holt - Windass

Miller

Morelos / Herrera

Mine would be ...

Foderingham

McCrorie - Alves - Cardoso/Wilson

Candeias - Holt - Jack - Kranjcar - John

Herrera - Morelos/Miller/Hardie

Later on (but no later than 60 mins) e.g. Pena for Holt and Barjonas for Kranjcar. One might start with Pena straight away, but I would assume the Sheep will try to bloody their way through midfield and Pena might react to that more than Holt will.

Edited by der Berliner

Two of the main and more expensive players brought in to help link middle to front are representative of two summer transfer windows that have been awful and bad respectively.

Kranjcar : Came on against Hamilton, looked like a ex-player in a testomonial game and then wasn't even on the bench at Dundee.

Pena : Got a spot on the bench against Dundee but when his advertised 'skillset' was pretty much what we seemed to need, he wasn't even used and we finished having only used 2 subs.

If the past is anything to go by, playing a less than match-fit Pena in the midfield is giving the sheep a much easier job of winning the midfield battle. The other thing about Pena, he's a distinct red-card risk. On the positive side, he might get on the end of a move and score a goal.

Options are very limited and if Morelos is out then Miller might play up front (if Murty changes his view on Pena and decides to give the Mexican a start).

Otherwise, it'd probably be Herrera for Morelos with Miller, presumably asked to play closer to Herrera.

Each from

Niko or Pena would definitely be a risk (see Celtic at Ibrox) but we need inspiration from somewhere and can't stop worrying about other teams.

Maybe continuing with Windass in the #10 role and using Atakayi on the left would be the kind of curveball that could add creativity whilst maintaining mobility in the middle of the park?

It's disgraceful management that we've only been using two subs when our squad is so thin. Guys like Pena, Niko, Bajonas, Dalcio and Herrera should all have had more game-time to allow us more flexibility week to week in terms of a first XI.

Niko or Pena would definitely be a risk (see Celtic at Ibrox) but we need inspiration from somewhere and can't stop worrying about other teams.

Maybe continuing with Windass in the #10 role and using Atakayi on the left would be the kind of curveball that could add creativity whilst maintaining mobility in the middle of the park?

It's disgraceful management that we've only been using two subs when our squad is so thin. Guys like Pena, Niko, Bajonas, Dalcio and Herrera should all have had more game-time to allow us more flexibility week to week in terms of a first XI.

To go from not trusting Pena as a sub against Dundee to starting him against Aberdeen shows a level of desperation that is unlikely to work.

Then you have Kranjcar who obviously needs more than 5 matches to get him back to anywhere near the level he is capable of but in those 5 matches+, you are going to lack half a man in midfield. To play the better teams with this weakness is asking for trouble.

I'd prefer something like the Windass/Atakayi curveball you mention.....at least it would be 'mobile desperation' and giving a youngster a chance.

Kranjcar and Pena should have been introduced against the weaker, park-the-bus teams, where their creativity and punch were of greater importance ... and they might have been brought up to match speed. IMHO.

Candeias can play left, I'd place Atakayi on his familar right sided role. Windass through the middle, hm.