Hemdani Named Player Of The Year

It was a night of glitz and glamour for fans and players alike last night as the club hosted its Player of the Year gala dinner for 2007.

The prestigious event, held at Glasgow's Hilton Hotel, was a fantastic evening and honoured the club's star players from the current campaign.

Just last month thousands of supporters voted online for their favourite Light Blue heroes and the results of the five categories were announced on the night.

Brahim Hemdani scooped the top prize after being named Rangers Player of the Year for 2007, while Charlie Adam claimed the Young Player award.

Allan McGregor received the majority of votes from his peers and claimed Players' Player of the Year and Ugo Ehiogu scooped the honour of Best Goal for his acrobatic strike against Celtic.

One of the most profound moments of the evening was reserved for the presentation of the John Greig Award and Dado Prso was proud to receive the accolade.

In a year of such mixed fortunes for Rangers, the winners had to be judged on their overall contribution and ability to shine under pressure during such a tumultuous season.

Once again the European adventure provided a welcome distraction to the domestic form but despite the wholesale changes that have taken place over the last 12 months, there have been some exceptional performers in the team.

Those players who made the shortlist for the main prize of Player of the Year were Charlie Adam, Kris Boyd, Barry Ferguson, Brahim Hemdani, Alan Hutton and Allan McGregor.

It was a close call but no one could argue with the eventual winner as Hemdani pipped his colleagues to top spot.

The French-Algerian has simply been outstanding in his role within the team this season, deputising at centre back when necessary and also starring in midfield, his natural position.

Despite the side's inconsistency in the early part of the season Hemdani maintained a superior standard of play.

An experienced campaigner at the highest level, the 29-year-old has in fact barely had a bad game and it's a huge turn around in fortunes given his injury problems last year.

Calmness personified, Hemdani has frequently demonstrated his excellent skills and that combined with his confidence while in possession makes him a valuable asset.

Someone who has certainly benefited from Hemdani's influence within the team is Charlie Adam and he has been another stand out this term.

The left-sided midfielder was given his first real opportunity in the top team by Paul Le Guen and has continued to impress under Walter Smith's guidance of late.

Adam has risen to the challenge of European football admirably, netting crucial strikes against Livorno, Maccabi Haifa and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, while making a telling contribution in the club's bid to secure Champions League football next term.

Now with 36 appearances under his belt for the campaign and an impressive 11 goals, the young Dundonian is an obvious choice for Young Player of the Year.

Allan McGregor scooped Players' Player of the Year and was thrilled to receive what is perhaps the most meaningful award a footballer can collect, after being voted for by team mates.

The 25-year-old's season didn't really start until September, when he came in to replace the injured Lionel Letizi, but since then hasn't looked back.

Ugo Ehiogu has only been at Rangers since the turn of the year but regardless of what else he achieves at the club, the fans will always remember him for 'that' goal against Celtic.

Needless to say it was the Englishman's stunning overhead kick that clinched top spot in the Goal of the Season section.

It was a crucial strike, not because it secured three points against Celtic, but it ended a frustrating winless run for Gers at Parkhead and has set a marker for next season.

The winner of the John Greig Award is decided by the club's Greatest Ever player himself and is given to a player who he believes has done the jersey proud, given his all for the club and epitomises everything a Rangers player should be.

All those qualities can be applied to Dado Prso and with the clock ticking down on his Ibrox career, the Croatian was clearly thrilled to be named this year's winner.

The former Monaco striker is one of a kind and it may not be until he leaves this summer that everyone appreciates just how big a part of the club he is.

Although the 32-year-old has only been here for three seasons, within that time he could not have offered any more to the cause and is a huge character within the first team squad.

His passion, unquestionable skill, unwavering commitment and willingness to live and breath Rangers are just some features that put Dado ahead of the rest.

Not really any suprises, bet it was a hell of a night for Prso though !!

Yeah this is justified, Hemdani has easily been our best player this season and that includes consistancy aswell as performances. Well done Hemmy!!! I think our midfield should be built round him. Id have him holding with Thomson doing the battling and tackling (unless we can sign Tugay back - see footie chat), then have Buffel playing infront of them.

Young player of the year would have been Hutton for me (if he is still young enough). He has came back this season with a great attitude and put in fantastic performances to a better standard than before his leg break. He got a lot of unfair criticism at the start of the season when IMO he wasnt near the worst player in the team, but since January he has been top notch especially in the important games against Celtic and Aberdeen.

Adam has chipped in with a few goals but some of his performances have been absolute drivvel.

Also well done to Dado, thoroughly deserved as he has been a legend, its just a pity his knees are playing up only at the age of 32.

Agreed Gribz, I'm sure Hutton is only a yr older than Adam and he would certainly have had my vote.

I didn't realise Adam had featured 36 times although knew he was into double figures in goals.

Still coming to terms with losing Dado, we're gonna need �£10m to replace that man alone!

I think the reason Adam got it is because he's a midfielder who has got his goals tally into double figures on his first full season, impressive for a youngster even with some bad performances.

All in all id say the awards went to the right people, but ill be hoping that next season there is a hell of alot more competition between the awards, whether they be spl or club ones.

Well done Hemdani.

Funny we didn't really talk about AM at all and yet that is who theplayers voted for. Decent debut season for us imo. Look for him to improve from here. Regular taking of cross balls and we have a decent keeper on our hands.

Was saying to my mate, Adam maybe gets a hard time. 36 games, 11 goals in his debut season at 21. Not bad. Needs to improve his mobility, perhaps by losing a few pounds.

Agree with Gribz, would have picked AH although at 22/23 he is just too old for YPOTY imo unfortunately. He was 3rd in my pic for POTY tbh behind BH and BF who I had trouble separating.

While all the players mentioned have been reasonable, I think it shows how bad a season we've had. Hemdani, while being unerringly consistent has hardly had a remarkable season and sometimes I think he gets plaudits for not making blatant mistakes rather than doing anything positive. I think if he'd played as a player of the year should, we'd have had a much better season.

Fergie has been really excellent in some games and rank in others, MacGregor has been good but is no Goram or Klos yet and Hutton had a slow start and has been outshone by Smith until his injury.

Adam has been OK but perhaps has had too much responsibility on his shoulders at such a young age, and he doesn't look bound to put Albertz or Gio in the shade.

A pretty average crop giving a pretty average player of the year.

While all the players mentioned have been reasonable, I think it shows how bad a season we've had. Hemdani, while being unerringly consistent has hardly had a remarkable season and sometimes I think he gets plaudits for not making blatant mistakes rather than doing anything positive. I think if he'd played as a player of the year should, we'd have had a much better season.

Fergie has been really excellent in some games and rank in others, MacGregor has been good but is no Goram or Klos yet and Hutton had a slow start and has been outshone by Smith until his injury.

Adam has been OK but perhaps has had too much responsibility on his shoulders at such a young age, and he doesn't look bound to put Albertz or Gio in the shade.

A pretty average crop giving a pretty average player of the year.

Can't argue with any of that, especially the first part.

I just thought that despite the fact I feel POTY ceremonies are worthless in such a poor season, that I would try to be positive about it.