‘Cheap shot’: Craigan slams ‘snide’ Rangers remarks after Old Firm clash

Date: 2nd January 2018 at 2:54pm

Written by: James Black

BT Sport pundit Stephen Craigan believes criticism directed towards Rangers after Saturday’s Old Firm draw is just a “cheap shot” from people who saw their prediction of a resounding Celtic win blow up in their faces.

The Gers dominated their bitter rivals for longs spells of the 0-0 draw and will be disappointed to have only come away with a single point.

Several prominent journalists and ex-players have since hammered Rangers making all sorts of baseless claims and Craigan reckons their “snide” remarks are only because the Gers left them looking ridiculous after being written off by virtually everyone.

“There’s been a few snide remarks towards the Rangers players and fans after Saturdays 0-0 draw in the derby game, which I think has been uncalled for,” Craigan said, as quoted by BT Sport.

“Everyone apart from the Rangers players, staff and supporters had the game down as a whitewash, myself included, yet they proved they have the stomach for a battle.

“When you consider they have lost badly against Hamilton and St Johnstone at Ibrox this season, and where dreadful in the recent game against Kilmarnock, a point at Celtic Park wasn’t on the agenda for many.

“They proved a lot of people wrong and maybe the fact some got the prediction so badly wrong it has made them feel the need to come out and criticise Rangers.

“It’s a cheap shot and, as much as I understand it’s only a draw for Rangers, it was hard earned and fully justified. It just shows football isn’t as predictable as we all think it is.”

Rangers have only managed two draws – both under Murty – against their bitter rivals since returning to the top tier of Scottish football in 2016.

Fair does for Craigan on this one. I guess it is aimed at Sutton. Hartson probably also had his normal 5-0 Celtic win. They are far more predictable than an old firm game.