Academy welcomes new coaches

7 minutes ago, craig said:

You haven't seen my contract with Gersnet yet - eye-watering amounts of revenue for me - in fact, the amount I am paid here means I am wholly surprised at Gersnet being able to upgrade forum software.

I clearly need to review my mafia-esque billing rates.

You probably do; nobody ever went bust underestimating the credulity -or the taste- of the public. 

In the meantime, however, I should advise that , on no account, should you discontinue despatching the begging letters.

Both KT and Vignal will be working with the U13 to U15's.

My kid has a gym session at KT's house on a Monday night along with another kid who is a Pro Youth at St Johnstone - and I know that the parents of that kid see massive benefit and improvement in their kid's game having sessions with KT.  That age group is perfect for KT IMHO, having seen the development of my own kid (who is 13) over the last 6 months.

How come it didn't work out with Thomson coaching at Hibs? That seems the most obvious fit for him. 

Vignal is the intriguing one for me. He's hardly part of an 'old boys' club, having only played one season for us, on loan, a good while ago. He apparently lives in France again too. Isn't this all the work of Craig Mulholland rather than the Director of Football? 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

How come it didn't work out with Thomson coaching at Hibs? That seems the most obvious fit for him. 

Vignal is the intriguing one for me. He's hardly part of an 'old boys' club, having only played one season for us, on loan, a good while ago. He apparently lives in France again too. Isn't this all the work of Craig Mulholland rather than the Director of Football? 

It didn't work out at Hibs because Hibs were taking the piss out of KT.  They were abusing the fact he is a Hibbee and has a desire to be involved in the game.  He was playing for free in both his 2nd and 3rd stint at Hibs, had an agreement with them that if the club did well he would be compensated appropriately - they made the League Cup Final in which he played, got beat by Ross County - and the club offered him a derisory bonus (He told me the amount but I won't divulge - but I can say that, for a team reaching a major final in Scottish football that the amount stunned me - was very, very paltry).

Whilst he was at Hibs the 3rd time he was, again, playing for free.  He was training in the morning, then would train in the afternoons again privately to get himself in top shape, would head home for dinner (lives close enough to the bypass for a quick drive to their training facilities) and would be back out the door to go and either coach their development team or manage their game.  All of this was being done for free and at a time when his wife (who is a really, really nice person too) had just had two small boys - his kids are 7 and 5 - so at that time they were 5 and 3.  And was doing all of this for free.

That was in 2015/2016 and 2016/17 - he then started his own Academy in November 2016 - one of his best friends is a silent partner in the Academy - and it took off very quickly.  He started out doing 1-on-1 sessions, then moved that up to having 2 kids per session and he now has 4 kids per session - he also has a full time coach along with him - a guy who was in the Hibs Academy with him back in the day, and who is his brother-in-law - real nice guy who played pro too, for smaller clubs. 

KT is very organized - he told me a few months ago that when he was running his sessions he wasn't just assessing kids ability but also how they interacted with each other - basically he was working out which kids in the Academy would be able to train with other kids so that ALL the kids got the best out of their sessions.  I have seen this with my kid because the kids he trains with they all get along as if they are very good friends, despite only seeing each other for an hour a week.

His organization skills are excellent.

Vignal is moving over here I think - his family are staying in France though.  Yes, I believe that this is the work of Mulholland

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Hopefully we do see more of players like McCrorie; those who have the physicality to deal with the Scottish game, but also have the technique. 

This SHOULD now be the case.  Mulholland has a much more "technique-based" approach to the Youth Academy.  His predecessor, Sinclair, just wanted big physical brutes so they could win games.  Mulholland believes much more in the technique of players as opposed to their physical size and presence.

Wasn't Sinclair closer to the 'Strachan philosophy', and one a number of English sides subscribe too as well? Strachan's point, after the last Scotland qualifier, about us not producing players who were as a big as other countries was mocked by most people afterwards. It also seems more amusing coming from someone of his stature who enjoyed relative success as a player. This is something he's spoken about before. But he's not alone in believing the top class player not only has to be technically great but also physically 'big'. It might surprise some to know that Arsene Wenger believes in this too. Have a look at his successful sides and they'd barely a player under 5'11" in them. The recent Barcelona side has turned this on it's head. The triumvirate of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta proving that ability always trumps physicality. 

Ironically McCrorie, at 6'1", would be Sinclair's perfect player.