Academy welcomes new coaches

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Some will no doubt be suggesting that recent coaching recruitments are "jobs for the boys" as has been suggested in the past.  However, if you look at the appointments of Vignal, Lovenkrands and Thomson they all have their coaching badges.  Not sure about Vignal but Lovenkrands and Thomson both have their A licences which actually makes them more qualified than the vast majority of coaches within the Academy of both us AND Celtic.

Seems to me that the Club are, rightly, starting to follow the Spanish route whereby the best, most qualified coaches (A license and pro license) are the ones entrusted to develop the children - the vast majority of A license coaches in Spain coach the kids whereas in the UK the vast majority of A license coaches actually coach the adults which, in my opinion, is virtually pointless - too late by that point in time to "teach old dogs new tricks".  Get the best coaches teaching the kids the proper techniques and develop them into how to understand the game and do the basics perfectly.

You need those characters, the ones that know what it takes to succeed as footballers and as Rangers players; this is a good move. 

Interestingly, the article suggests we're looking to implement a hybrid approach, whereby experts and ex-players work together to give us the best of both worlds:

“All top clubs in Europe were recently asked by the European Clubs’ Association if their Academy coach recruitment policy focussed solely on ex-players, as the likes of Ajax do. Or did we employ teachers and academics as the majority of the best clubs in the likes of Belgium and France do very successfully?

“My belief is in a hybrid of both. We need coaches who are experts at understanding how young people learn and have a unique skill set for developing kids of a specific age, combined with ex-players who can pass on a wealth of knowledge from playing at this club and at Champions League level.

Kevin Thomson had a meeting in Walter Smiths office 5/6 months in to his Rangers career... Walter:”How do you think you’ve been doing?” KT: “Aye I think I’ve been doing alright, I’m enjoying it” Walter:”Son, see doing alright? Its no fuckin good enough”

29 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Kevin Thompson when he realised his new role may mean he misses his dinner with Craig...

28912_heroa.jpg

Trust me... he won't thank you for the "p" in his name :D

I'm sure he will just invite me to Auchenhowie for dinner instead :ninja:

These are excellent moves by the club. Maybe those people who have been quick to criticise the board will step back and perhaps contemplate a quote from Hamlet - "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
The future is looking brighter.

33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You need those characters, the ones that know what it takes to succeed as footballers and as Rangers players; this is a good move. 

Interestingly, the article suggests we're looking to implement a hybrid approach, whereby experts and ex-players work together to give us the best of both worlds:

Couldn't agree more regarding having characters who know what it takes to succeed.  KT, although a Hibbee, was as gutted as everyone else when we were performing like dross in the 1st half of the season.  I never knew until he told me that when he was at Middlesborough he actually played 17 games with a broken leg. 

His commitment to the kids in his own Academy, and the work ethic and effort that he generates from them really is something to see - every single kid gravitates to him and would run through a brick wall for him - he will instill that in the RFC kids in a positive way - his coaching style is to expect excellence but also provide encouragement and not lambasting them when they make mistakes.  In fact, with my own kid, KT spent the first few months of him coaching my son to remind my son that nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes.  My kid was so desperate to impress KT that every single mistake he made was met with him getting frustrated at himself - and KT spotted it immediately and spent time with my kid highlighting it was ok to make mistakes, you just learn from them and work to eliminate them.

We also shouldn't forget that KT was the Development Squad coach at Hibs during his 3rd stint there - and the Hibs development team at the time was pretty decent - KT was training with the 1st team during the day, doing a double session to retain fitness, heading home for supper and back out the door with the Development team.  He lives and breathes football.

Just now, Uilleam said:

Nepotism, cronyism, whatever.....

Kevin Thomson cozies up to This Man Craig, and 'Presto!' he has a job at Auchenhowie. 

Do they think that we are fools?

Nobody told you I am the main mover and shaker at Ibrox ? :D

20 minutes ago, Crimson Dynamo said:

Didn't realise Andy Little was back at Ibrox. Always thought he deserved a better run when he was our player.

Pleased about the other appointments.

Andy Little has been back for about 6 months mate