Fighting for second? Not if we have the correct mindset...

The players we've signed recently may well bring an improvement in results. Some of them might even turn out to have a long term positive effect on the playing squad. However, in my opinion (which probably isn't worth much) these are nowhere near the calibre of player needed to be able to make the sort of optimistic claims doing the rounds. This is not like Dick Advocaat buying an entire squad in 1998, which everyone more or less knew would win the league title and which it did - but only by 6 points and with an inferior GD.

The point is you seldom see what Advocaat was allowed to do with the club cheque book. We will have to build a squad over time with much less able players than Advocaat had and it's the quality of manager that will be pivotal to success or failure.

... that may be correct, but we do not face - by comparison - quality Scottish teams in the here and now as we did back then, do we? Beyond the Clyde, the Yahoos have let Sviatchenko (rated 8m, you know) go on-loan to Sweden, have Armstrong out injured, and are a couple of injuries away (namely to Sinclair and Griffiths) to have a rather ordinary 30m squad at their hands. We have to wait and see whether McInnes can form a solid bunch of his lot again for the rest of the season, how Motherwell will do without Moult etc..

So it is not just about us and how we improved our squad.

I think Motherwell were a one trick pony with Moult in their side. They have recorded a single win in their last 12 matches and that was again a double from Moult at the sheep pen to record a 2-0 away win.

Celtic also looked a tired team in December.  The break could well re-energise them, but they are carrying some injuries and a few of their more influential players are not in such good form.

However, I think quite a lot of things will need to go in our favour in order to run them close come the end of the season.  Not impossible, but we're a few points too far behind in my view.