Pacific Quay Musings?

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Richard Gordon isn't on Go Radio, I think it's Rob McLean, easy to confuse them to be fair. 

As a commercial station I suspect Go Radio will endeavour to be far more balanced than BBC Scotland, if only from a revenue perspective. Alienating the Rangers support won't be good for business or please advertisers (or indeed new commercial partners...). Paul Cooney is a talented producer and despite his personal leanings Clyde's football coverage was much fairer than BBC Scotland's when he was in charge of it. I've yet to hear their new show, I see they've got Si Ferry and Barry Ferguson on so my heart has sunk already, but at some point in the coming weeks i'll give it listen. If it's to be successful it will need to appeal to us, you can't alienate the biggest club in the country's support if you're not being financed by the licence fee. You'd hope Haughey and co understand that. 

Those were my feelings as well. An easy route to quickly overtaking RC is to "appeal" to the Rangers fan base.

If they do this right, they'll and this partnership will be a success, revert to type or copy BBC and RC it'll be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Richard Gordon isn't on Go Radio, I think it's Rob McLean, easy to confuse them to be fair. 

As a commercial station I suspect Go Radio will endeavour to be far more balanced than BBC Scotland, if only from a revenue perspective. Alienating the Rangers support won't be good for business or please advertisers (or indeed new commercial partners...). Paul Cooney is a talented producer and despite his personal leanings Clyde's football coverage was much fairer than BBC Scotland's when he was in charge of it. I've yet to hear their new show, I see they've got Si Ferry and Barry Ferguson on so my heart has sunk already, but at some point in the coming weeks i'll give it listen. If it's to be successful it will need to appeal to us, you can't alienate the biggest club in the country's support if you're not being financed by the licence fee. You'd hope Haughey and co understand that. 

I have not listened to Go Radio as yet, of course you are correct reference Rob McLean. Please remember, Rob McLean is now the official commentator on Red TV(Aberdeen FC channel).

Further, I note earlier this week, ra Sellik announced Go Radio as an official commercial partner(the same status as the Daily Record). The usual suspects ie Phil McFournames, Angela Haggerty, Paul Breslin, ...... etc were all re-Tweeting with knowing winks, etc. Cooney's name was front and center.

The Great Michael.

We know Sportscene does not run credits, we also know the show's Producer is a broth of a Blarney Bhoy, Eamonn Donohoe. A Producer at PQ is quite the thing, particularly if empire building is your game. Sellik TV's latest signing, Michael Stewart was sinking fast. The radio Producers had ignored him for ten weeks. However, Eamonn threw him a lifeline and the Great Michael sailed into Saturday night's Sportscene studio on his big white sannies. It's de rigueur within the Gang Hut to sport muckle sannies when presenting. Michael appears sunkist, has ran a blond tint through his glittering young Adonis locks, and is replete in compliant plimsolls. He will be circumcising the globe soon enough and that's no skin off a bluenose.

Michael took his lead from brother-in-trainers, wee Jonathon. Asked for his comments on the next day's games involving both halves of the old firm, like a good Sellik TV employee, he launched into a well rehearsed spiel. Morelos has chucked it, French Eddie has sprinted forward. St Mirren have a chance, Killie will be hoping to keep the score down. Eamonn put Michael where other Producers dare not, and no one on BBC Scotland has mentioned Stewart's Sellik TV connections.

Of course, being an uber, flag waving nationalist, the former Man U dud will know the Great Michael was the biggest ship ever constructed by the Scottish Royal Navy. In the first years of the 16th century, King James iv ordered the construction of a 1,000 ton ship. Scotland was reputedly the wealthiest country in Europe at the time, but after James falling at Flodden field, the ship was sold to the French for a song. We could not afford the maintenance, a lesson PQ must learn reference Sellik TV's Michael and his big sannies.

Targetry?

DrStu' and Tam targeted Rangers TV on Saturday. A competition no less, a mug was to be presented to the listener who came up with the best line reference Clive Tyldesley. Two hours of teasing, Tyldesley was bound to throw in a few 1966 England world cup winning references during commentary? They read out a dozen of the better entries. Hoping and wishing something will happen is not the same as an actual happening. It's like Tam's bestie, Andrew Wilson telling us Scotland's economy would thrive when selling oil for $115 a barrel. DrStu' had his dander up, and the Herald's Chris Jack was next up for ridicule. DrStu' spluttered, "Chris union Jack, aye thats wit thur calling him". See when DrStu' gets aw couthy, the wit? Anyway, DrStu' will have another opportunity to target Rangers TV this coming Wednesday, his favourites will be subject Tyldesley's commentary.

Big Dick sees dead people.

During the Motherwell v Dundee United match at Fir Park, Big Dick decided to comment on 'Well's cardboard cut-out fans behind the goal. You know the gig? Fans pay between £20-£30 to have a photo put on the seated cut-out. Motherwell teamed up with a mental health charity and decided to leave dozens of the cut-outs faceless, highlighting those folk that go missing every year. Big Dick was non-plussed at the faceless ones, "they look dead". Heartening news for relatives worried about missing family and friends? Still, it could have been worse, he could have wanted them transferred to Edinburgh Zoo for exhibition.

Coverage?

On Sunday, BBC Radio Scotland produced no coverage of Rangers v St Mirren. Billy Dodds broadcast a minute long half-time report, and a two minute full time report. All garnered from Rangers TV. Rugby Park coverage was full live commentary, and the Blarney Bhoys, Pat and Tom. Sellik supporting Julie Fleeting was thrown in to balance things, she teaches school in Kilmarnock. Sunday night's Sportscene had wee Jonathon, Craig Gordon, and Shaun Maloney, all in big white sannies. You cannot blame them on their choice of footwear, it must be most difficult to maintain balance.

17 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Time they were knocked from their gutty perches. 

Growing up in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, what we now call trainers, were always referred to as 'gutties'.

Everything, from Dunlop Blue Flash to Adidas Bamba, all 'gutties'.

You never hear the term these days?

2 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

The lads at my work say it quite often (mostly from Edinburgh and East Lothian).  I never heard it growing up in the Borders.  It was always trainers or as my grandpa used to say, "training shoes". 

Sannies? Gutties?

Nah. San’ sheen.  I’m sorry for folk who can’t talk right.

As for trainers. All right for la-di-da Embra folk I suppose.

Talking of Embra folk, I noticed Craig Gordon had come out in such a hurry he’d forgotten to put on his socks. Either that or Hearts didn’t pay him this week and he couldn’t afford any.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Growing up in deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, what we now call trainers, were always referred to as 'gutties'.

Everything, from Dunlop Blue Flash to Adidas Bamba, all 'gutties'.

It depends, a lot on age.

The thing is that the gutty was, generally, a sandshoe, or a tennis shoe; never a baseball boot; nor a running shoe. 

Gutty derives, of course, from gutta percha, a rubber like substance.