Jury out on Docherty?

“What a signing” , “Gers Man” , “Future Star” , “Some player”.

Just a few of the adjectives being bandied about , about Greg Docherty.

I must stress here that I can only speak for myself here, but I very rarely take  

any superlatives about players at face value. Greg Docherty May turn out to be the greatest Ranger ever but until he is or at least performs in a blue jersey I will just watch and take in his performances as I would any Gers player.

I follow Rangers and Rangers only , I don’t follow other clubs or any of their players. Yes I watch the opposition and I can heap praise on an individual who may have stood out, but when that whistle blows its always about the Rangers.

What I would like to know is what makes a ,

How can you tell ? How do you know this guy will fill the jersey/role he has been given?

Jason Cummings was given the biggest reception for a player I have heard post 2000. I can only guess that is because he rattled 7 goals past us in 3 games in the championship. And we probably all that that he was a guy we would rather play with than play against .

I,ll admit I know nothing about Greg Docherty but , until he does it in a blue jersey I reserve my judgement.

WATP 

Morry

?⚪️???

His response (and the response of his friends and family) to signing and his twitter feed validate he is a "Gers Man".

I haven't seen a single person say, "What a signing" or "Some player", so not sure where you're getting those.

As for, "Future star" - we'll have to wait and see.  With the past few years under our belts, it's not hard to understand why many Bears are keen to find any grain of hope.

Edited by Gonzo79

Docherty is a young, energetic, box to box midfielder, who is viewed as a player with much potential, who is rated highly by his erstwhile manager and coaches, who has a good reputation, who seems to have been properly brought up, and who, by signing for Rangers, has fulfilled an ambition. What's not to like?

There are grounds for optimism, therefore, reinforced by what looks like an increased emphasis on coaching within the Club (Windass's, Tavenier's and others' games seem to have improved, lately), and by less of an inclination perhaps to play people out of their natural positions.

Of course we will have to judge Docherty by his performances, and over more than the remainder of this season, as we do, have done, and will continue to do with any player. He now has the stage, let's hope that he delivers.

(It does seem like somebody -or some thing- has pissed on somebody's potatoes.)

The jury is always out on any new signing, quite right, until they experience what it is like to play for Rangers. I'm sure you realise why the Rangers fans are excited with our transfer business? young players with experience and still potential.

8 hours ago, Morryrfc said:

Just a few of the adjectives being bandied about , about Greg Docherty.

I must stress here that I can only speak for myself here, but I very rarely take  

any superlatives about players at face value. Greg Docherty May turn out to be the greatest Ranger ever but until he is or at least performs in a blue jersey I will just watch and take in his performances as I would any Gers player.

I follow Rangers and Rangers only , I don’t follow other clubs or any of their players. Yes I watch the opposition and I can heap praise on an individual who may have stood out, but when that whistle blows its always about the Rangers.

What I would like to know is what makes a ,

How can you tell ? How do you know this guy will fill the jersey/role he has been given?

Jason Cummings was given the biggest reception for a player I have heard post 2000. I can only guess that is because he rattled 7 goals past us in 3 games in the championship. And we probably all that that he was a guy we would rather play with than play against .

I,ll admit I know nothing about Greg Docherty but , until he does it in a blue jersey I reserve my judgement.

WATP 

Morry

?⚪️???

Welcome to the forum.

Ok, now that you've been welcomed warmly with a sense of anticipation from your fellow forum members, maybe you could try the same with Docherty.

Im really pleased with this signing.  Why?  Because he's young, great technical ability, pacey, strong, and someone who understands what is expected at our club.  Of course he has yet to prove himself but there are many reasons to be excited about young and gifted players coming to our club.

Again, welcome to the club Docherty, and welcome to forums Morry.

There are no guarantees with any signing but we've signed a highly rated 21 year old MF player with nearly 100 games under his belt in our top division.

I'd rather we did that than spunk millions on players in their thirties who are past their best & mostly interested in topping up their pensions.

The jury is always out on all new players until they perform.

However, the lad is highly rated and Acas have a good record of doing a good job with younger players.  McCarthur and McCarthy are just two good examples of this.