Graeme Murty admits Sean Goss is a permanent signing target

'hands-off'

Rangers boss Graeme Murty admits Sean Goss is a permanent signing target despite QPR claiming ‘hands-off’

The Gers boss is looking to improve the squad during the summer and Goss, who has been a big hit at Ibrox since joining on loan, is one of his top targets.

GRAEME MURTY insists he hasn’t given up on signing Sean Goss long-term — even though QPR have issued a ‘hands-off’ warning.

Midfield ace Goss has been a big hit at Rangers since his loan move from the Championship outfit last month.

Goss, 22, starred as Gers dumped Hearts 2-0 last weekend, and he will be a key man against St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park tonight.

Boss Murty said: “Sean Goss is one of a number of players we are looking to bring in on a permanent deal.

“The evolution of the squad never stops, and we are always assessing people as to where they would fit in to what we do.

“Goss has made a really good start, and has shown he understands how we want to play and the demands of playing for Rangers at Ibrox. He looks quite comfortable doing that.

“He kind of goes under the radar a bit because at the moment the players getting the headlines are the likes of Jamie Murphy, Alfredo Morelos, Josh Windass and Daniel Candeias.

“They are the guys who are maybe the flashier players, but Goss brings stability to the side. He has a lovely range of passing, and he’s always willing to take the ball.

“I think Sean’s added a control to our play that we’ve needed.

“I’m really pleased with his contribution so far, although I still think there’s more to come from him.

“QPR have said: ‘You’re not having him, keep your hands off’. But football situations like that tend to be quite fluid.”

Scotland boss Alex McLeish has talks planned this week with Celtic gaffer Brendan Rodgers about the availability of players for the end-of-season trip to Peru and Costa Rica.

Murty says his door will always be open for similar discussions, and says his stars’ welfare should be the priority.

Rangers players Jamie Murphy, Lee Wallace and Jason Cummings could be involved with Scotland, and Murty added: “I haven’t planned anything with Alex McLeish yet.

“But like every manager with potential Scotland internationals in their line-up, I believe you must make yourself available to him as and when he needs you. If he wants to talk to the guys or the staff here then we’ll be available. I’m fairly sure he knows how to get here!”

Murty made his first Scotland start in the Kirin Cup in Japan in a similar end-of-season trip back in May 2006, and added: “I loved going to Japan.

“It was a fantastic, life-affirming experience, and it was really good to go away with a Scotland group and play some difficult games in different conditions.

“I’m really thankful football gave me the opportunity to experience that.

“Now I’m on the other side of it, I think we need to have conversations and make sure the players are protected.

“We need to make sure their physical needs and wants are met.

“But I’m certain that, as long as those are outlined, Scotland have the skills and mindset necessary to fulfil both their needs as a national team and our needs as a club side. It’s certainly a conversation to have. We have a lot of people who have played a lot of games and we need to make sure they get the required rest.

“You can’t continue all the way through two seasons without a break.

“We have to make sure the careers of the players are taken care of, and their well-being comes first.

“We could be involved in Europa League qualifiers, depending on what we do between now and the end of the season.

“So we have to make sure we continue to push on to make that conversation relevant.

“Without wanting to look outside our group, when you look at the number of games Kieran Tierney could play by the end of the season, you can see why Celtic might not want him to travel with Scotland.

“We’ve got people with different needs, and people at different stages of their development. We have a mix of younger and more senior players, so it has to be done on a player-by-player basis.

“There are players here who should be looking at the trip. They should realise they are on a fantastic stage at Rangers.

“We’re coming to the end of the season, we’re at the top end of the table and still in the Cup. Lots of eyes are on us, so it’s an opportunity for people to shine.”

Murty takes his side to Perth tonight having already lost to Saints at Ibrox last December.

Murty said: “It’s not about revenge, it’s about us setting a level.

“The last game against St Johnstone was hard to take because we didn’t do enough to take control of it. We didn’t play at a quick enough tempo, we weren’t aggressive enough.

“But that’s changed in recent times, we’re a much different team to the one we were earlier in the season.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2287034/graeme-murty-rangers-sean-goss-transfers-permanent-deal/

I'd just take this opportunity to apologise to Sean Goss. I was very critical when we signed him on loan, being a player who had only played a few games in the previous couple of seasons.

I'm glad to say that he's come into the team and rammed my criticisms with his very good performances. Keep it up son. Keep proving me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Volbeater said:

Is this true what Murty has been saying? If you play poker do you show your hand? Not buying this keech! 

Depends how you see it. Maybe he wants the player to feel wanted.

Besides, as a manager you definately prioritise the present, especially if you might be gone come the summer.

Getting a good few positive months out of a loan player would be a better than average return and a start.

Just now, Bluedell said:

I'd just take this opportunity to apologise to Sean Goss. I was very critical when we signed him on loan, being a player who had only played a few games in the previous couple of seasons.

I'm glad to say that he's come into the team and rammed my criticisms with his very good performances. Keep it up son. Keep proving me wrong.

I'll join you with that helping of humble pie.

He's played 4 games of a full 90 minutes for us, the first four of his professional career.

Just now, Volbeater said:

Agreed, but do you go public and price for him gets inflated? Would love to have him and a bidding war also gets started? I’m hoping our guys are talking quietly to him and also Goss can see what it means to be at Rangers. 

If we want him come the summer then we'll have to register an interest/make a bid. At which point, unless Martin Bain joins them, QPR will be fully aware that they are in the box seat come any negoitations regardless of what GM may say at this point.

If the lad plays first team football, does well and feels wanted he may help our case.

I think our chances are pretty slim. Every good performance will push his price up. QPR are struggling majorly so would likely give him a chance when he returns.

Only getting relegated would increase our chances I think, because then their already bad finances would be so desperate they'd likely be open to good offers.

As for Goss himself, he must be loving life at Rangers but for an English kid like him he'd never trade starting games in the Championship for Rangers. Playing in the Championship is a very big step closer to playing in the Premier League and that will be his ultimate goal. Would he trade being a backup in the Championship for starting for us? Surely! So here's hoping Holloway makes a poor decision and because of their poor finances they'll take a decent offer.