Spent some time with a few Berwick Rangers fans over easter. They go to all matches home and away and were all raving about the lad. Berwick have conceded a lot of goals but he has been picking up a lot of MoM awards despite that. He could be the answer to our goalkeeping position in the next couple of years. I might be stretching it a bit but if he and young Ross become features in our team our central defensive understanding may take an upswing. At least they will know what each other is thinking. 

On another positive we seem to be quite popular down there unlike the rotten mhob who caused major (unreported of course) problems last time they visited. 

6 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

Spent some time with a few Berwick Rangers fans over easter. They go to all matches home and away and were all raving about the lad. Berwick have conceded a lot of goals but he has been picking up a lot of MoM awards despite that. He could be the answer to our goalkeeping position in the next couple of years. I might be stretching it a bit but if he and young Ross become features in our team our central defensive understanding may take an upswing. At least they will know what each other is thinking. 

On another positive we seem to be quite popular down there unlike the rotten mhob who caused major (unreported of course) problems last time they visited. 

He is very highly rated, however so is Liam Kelly who I would expect to push for a start before Robbie.

RANGERS announced that goalkeeper Liam Kelly was rewarded with a new two year contract in June 2017.

The 21 year-old, who came through the youth ranks at Auchenhowie, spent the last season and a half on-loan at East Fife and Livingston respectively, and has impressed boss Pedro Caixinha sufficiently to be rewarded with a new deal.

Indeed, having won League Two with the Fifers, he was a near ever-present for Livi last season as they claimed the League One title in some style, while previously he played key roles in penalty shootout wins for Gers youth sides in the 2012 Glasgow Cup and 2014 Youth Cup.

Kelly has also represented Scotland at a variety of age groups, most recently the under-21 side.

He is yet to make a first-team appearance for Gers but will be a well-known face to supporters having been back-up to Wes Foderingham for the first half of the 2015/16 season.

https://rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team/liam-kelly/

• Rousseau changed the title to Robbie McCrorie
33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's McCrorie.

Promising young lad, but it's very difficult to break through as a GK.

Fair point Rousseau but perhaps a bit easier in Scotland in a team which should have massive amount of possession. Much harder in a tough league where your conceding a lot of goals at a high pressure level.

Probably over optimistic with the 2 year projection right enough but physically he is well on so it’s about blending guys like him and Kelly in at the right time and in the right games. 

Deepite the pressures even this year I hope we can find the opportunity to blend more youngsters into the first team squad over the next few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

Fair point Rousseau but perhaps a bit easier in Scotland in a team which should have massive amount of possession. Much harder in a tough league where your conceding a lot of goals at a high pressure level.

Probably over optimistic with the 2 year projection right enough but physically he is well on so it’s about blending guys like him and Kelly in at the right time and in the right games. 

Deepite the pressures even this year I hope we can find the opportunity to blend more youngsters into the first team squad over the next few weeks. 

You bring up an interesting point with the possession-based sides; I think it requires a different style of 'keeper. Our 'keepers are not expected to be making saves every two minutes, but wonder saves a couple of times a match; it's difficult to be doing nothing for most of the game, then come up with a great save to shut out the opposition. Traditionally, our best 'keepers have done that. 

So, I'm not sure producing good performances at Berwick, where I presume he needs to make lots of saves, necessarily translates to playing for us, where he'd be doing nothing most of the game but being switched-on to make that one great save.

I always like to see youngsters make the step up.

No certainties in any of this that’s for sure mate. We’ll just have to wait and see but of course concentration levels have to be extremely high and reading the game is part of a lengthy learning process. Put it this way it’s no bad thing we have a couple of young keepers getting rave reviews