Apparently even the Juventus fans stood to applaud this despite the fact it was probably instrumental in putting them out of the competition. His second of the game Ronaldo becomes the first man to score in 10 consecutive Champions league matches. They're going to have to build bigger stadiums to accommodate his head.

Edited this with a new video link as they quickly took down the first one.  The music annoys me in these videos but I suspect it helps to conceal them from the robots scanning youtube looking for such videos to take down.

Edited by JFK-1

I don't see anything wrong with what they did.  It's not as if they're deadly rivals operating in the same country and it's not as if they cheered as a crowd does when their own team scores.  They simply acknowledged and politely applauded a moment of brilliance from a man who whether we like it or not is a still playing legend of the game. 

I think the Madrid fans applauded Messi at one point a few years ago.

Sometimes players do things that you just have to sit back and admire. 

Like Bill says, if you can't applaud a fine goal, then football has lost its soul.  

11 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Imagine applauding an opposition goal at any match.

Football has lost its soul.

Yeah, when I read about it I just thought it sounded pathetic.

There is definitely something wretched about the idea but I'm not sure if I could say exactly what.

Something about it just reminds me of the way that the Champions league is increasingly stacked in favour of the biggest teams.

I saw a clip and they focused on one guy applauding.  No one else around him seemed to be doing it.  No doubt he had a half and half scarf on.

What do you mean the CL is stacked in favour of the bigger teams?  Minnows like Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid will all be semi finalists this year.  Who could've predicted that!?  I bet on an Ajax vs Red Star Belgrade final.

Edited by Gonzo79