Rangers can put aside three years of failings by hiring the right man

By Guest Contributor

Three years have passed since one of the defining moments in the recent history of Rangers Football Club. On the day of his coronation following a successful EGM, Dave King spoke of taking Rangers ‘back to the past’.

What is fairly damning for his board’s legacy at present is the past that his board has taken us back to resembles the final years of David Murray’s stewardship, where an undercurrent of apathy and malaise were prevalent throughout the entire football club – though in this instance minus a successful football team on the park and gifted manager in the dugout. There often appears to be a culture within the club where doing just enough day-to-day is considered acceptable. This is Rangers. It is not.

Full article below

https://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2018/4/3/rangers-can-put-aside-three-years-of-failings-by-hiring-right-manager

Good article.  The board are at a crossroads and decisions taken in the next few weeks could define our club's future.  It's vital we get the right man in, after some obvious cocķ-ups.

Over to you board...

While I don’t believe Frank de Boer will be the manager next year, I really hope the board announce who the next manager is very soon. 

I want a new manager knowing he will start on whatever date, already having watched videos of our 20s & First Team, picking out players he likes for next season and players he doesn’t want. Perhaps a 20s player he likes who could be promoted as Advocaat did with Ferguson. I want plans being put in place now, not 2/3 weeks before our first European tie (if we do qualify).

I was really unsure about if FdB would be the right guy for us but having looked more in depth to what he done with Ajax and even interviews from his time at Inter and Palace I genuinely think him & Rangers could be a match made in heaven. 

I just worry our board were burnt with Pedro Caixinha and may go for a safer, less of a gamble appointment. I just hope they know what they are doing because we can’t afford to make a mistake this time. McInnes was a safe option but if a guy like Frank de Boer is interested in coming here then surely it is a no brainer? 

The Rangers job, regardless of the state of Scottish football should be seen as a massive opportunity for an ambitious coach. Hopefully de Boer (or whoever the new manager may be) can see that. 

Edited by MrGaryValentine

4 hours ago, pete said:

So many rumours that it is RdB and that he is already working with the dof about recruiting in the background that it will be strange if it is not true.

Are these rumours from anyone of note though? Seems to me these rumours only started due to Ronald being caught out by a parody account & even then he didn’t say anything to make you think Frank (or him) were talking to Rangers. 

There are a few names being bandied about but nothing concrete as far as I can see.

I agree with Gary in that it would be good to announce the new manager (I assume they have been identified and perhaps even appointed informally) during the season ticket renewal phase.  That allows us another four weeks and I guess timing might be everything depending on results during this period.

36 minutes ago, MrGaryValentine said:

I just worry our board were burnt with Pedro Caixinha and may go for a safer, less of a gamble appointment.

We need a safe, less of a gamble appointment.

Although any appointment is a gamble, I'm not sure that an idealistic manager like FdB is what we need right now. We've had that with Warburton and Pedro to a lesser extent. I believe that we need a more pragmatic manager

33 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

We need a safe, less of a gamble appointment.

Although any appointment is a gamble, I'm not sure that an idealistic manager like FdB is what we need right now. We've had that with Warburton and Pedro to a lesser extent. I believe that we need a more pragmatic manager

I agree, but I can't help feel deflated at that.

A part of me still thinks an idealistic approach can work. And, I do worry that a pragmatic manager won't better Rodgers -- McInnes has an awful record, Clarke's a bit better.   

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I agree, but I can't help feel deflated at that.

A part of me still thinks an idealistic approach can work. And, I do worry that a pragmatic manager won't better Rodgers -- McInnes has an awful record, Clarke's a bit better.   

I have to agree with this. Will a McInnes or Clarke for example win us the league? I really can’t see it myself.