9 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Some people slag off the Champions League but it's tremendous excitement and fabulous quality of football. A great couple of night's viewing. 

The fact that this seasons quarters have been outstanding doesn't negate the general tendency over many seasons.

Glad to see Liverpool get through as their semi-final promises fireworks, whoever they get.

No-one will want Real Madrid in the semi-final.

To win CL (bet365 odds)

Real Madrid 13/8

Bayern Munich 15/8

Liverpool 3/1

Roma 10/1

A fiver on Liverpool will provide value, one way or another.

6 minutes ago, buster. said:

The fact that this seasons quarters have been outstanding doesn't negate the general tendency over many seasons.

I'd strongly disagree. The general tendency has been for the standard of team to improve and the quality of football to improve.

You generally don't get the same level of negative football that you did 20 years ago.  The CL is the best football tournament in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd strongly disagree. The general tendency has been for the standard of team to improve and the quality of football to improve.

You generally don't get the same level of negative football that you did 20 years ago.  The CL is the best football tournament in the world. 

Fair enough but it's a subjective thing.

For me, I like a bit of the unexpected and some real drama. With this format, we generally have to wait until the Springtime for ties that produce this. I find the groupstage tedious unless Rangers are in it.

Standard is one thing and I get that one can appreciate the technical ability but after a while, that alone isn't enough. Nor for me, is the tactical jousting unless it actually sparks a decent contest with 'real drama'.

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli claims Michael Oliver 'completely lost control' of Champions League tie with Real Madrid and accuses UEFA of pushing anti-Italy agenda in Europe

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5605317/Juventus-chief-Andrea-Agnelli-calls-ref-Michael-Oliver-anti-Italian.html#ixzz5CRhYaJhd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli claims Michael Oliver 'completely lost control' of Champions League tie with Real Madrid and accuses UEFA of pushing anti-Italy agenda in Europe

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5605317/Juventus-chief-Andrea-Agnelli-calls-ref-Michael-Oliver-anti-Italian.html#ixzz5CRhYaJhd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Total crap. It was a penalty and Buffon jostled the ref. Oliver did have the option of not sending him off but can't blame him for doing so. You can't touch the ref.

4 hours ago, Bluedell said:

You can't touch the ref.

Yes indeed, the ref is untouchable and if that weren't the case the intimidation of referees which still regularly occurs in a less physical fashion would more often move into the overtly physical.  He laid hand on the referee, end of story, red card.

I've just realised why this is 'Comeback Week'.....all of Europe has been inspired by the Marvin Andrews youtube interview :P

edit....another comeback !

Lazio won the first leg 4-2 against Salzburg but are now 6-5 down on aggregate...10 minutes left !

Edited by buster.