New manager rumours

31 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Frankie is right. In Souness we were getting a great player and an exceptional personality. Gerrard is no longer a player and though he was a leader on the park I don’t think he will be as strong a character as GS.

Souness also had the advantage of an alumnus from the McLean School of Soccer Management as his assistant.

I wonder how good John Greig would have been if he had started either as an assistant to someone like Jim McLean or as manager lower down the leagues.

When you consider the respective managerial appointments of Greig and Souness in retrospect, they were hugely significant as to how events would unfold for a number of years.

ie. this upcoming appointment is very important multiplied by a lot.

Gerrard is now 1/2 odds on with Sky this morning.

Given the grapevine is suggesting the manager has already been chosen and that a prospective Number 2 would be noteworthy.....does this mean we are going to appoint Gerrard with an experienced Number 2 ?

40 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Frankie is right. In Souness we were getting a great player and an exceptional personality. Gerrard is no longer a player and though he was a leader on the park I don’t think he will be as strong a character as GS.

Souness also had the advantage of an alumnus from the McLean School of Soccer Management as his assistant.

I wonder how good John Greig would have been if he had started either as an assistant to someone like Jim McLean or as manager lower down the leagues.

I think past experience shows that there's little correlation between how good a player is and the type of coach he becomes. In the case of souness, whilst he had early success, he was woeful later on. 

Just now, Rousseau said:

I really can't see him being the #1.

Could Gerard be the #2? And, if he is, does that offer any obvious choices for a #1?

I don't think Gerrard would come as a Number 2 and the board may be looking to how the Souness appointment galvanised the club (importantly with Walter Smith beside him).

Just now, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Liverpool u18's is surely a better gig than our number 2. 

Maybe, but if he's joining under someone, that someone may offer him a better chance to learn. He does want to be a manager some day.

This is pure speculation, though.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

I don't think Gerrard would come as a Number 2 and the board may be looking to how the Souness appointment galvanised the club (importantly with Walter Smith beside him).

What if he's looking to learn under someone?

I don't think a 'galvanising' appointment works nowadays; it's a different game. 

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Maybe, but if he's joining under someone, that someone may offer him a better chance to learn. He does want to be a manager some day.

This is pure speculation, though.

If Gerrard does well with the U18's it won't be long before he's in the mix with the first team. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

What if he's looking to learn under someone?

I don't think a 'galvanising' appointment works nowadays; it's a different game. 

It's about the finance as well as the football and if you want to provide a imaginative project for prospective investors then Gerrard plus experienced Number 2 would probably work..... Investment is key wrt providing funds to bring in quality.

I look at the candidates out there, the probability some wouldn't want the job and a Gerrard/Experienced Number 2 would be a gamble but no moreso than anyother prospective options out there. IMO, the likes of McLaren, Pardew would crash and burn anyway (ie.experience in failure).

Personally, I'd go for Clarke but I doubt he'll want it. If it's a Gerrard/Experienced No.2 then so be it....the fans could get into that.