New manager rumours

Just now, buster. said:

Potter would be an interesting appointment but tbh, we don't really want 'interesting' at this point in time.

We need pragmatic, respected and a level of experience that relates to the job at hand.

One could argue that he is pragmatic. 

Experience maybe an issue, but it shouldn't rule anyone out if they are the right candidate -- I'm repeating myself, but Joachim Low.

Some words of advice from someone on FF who is closer to the Swedish game ...

I've said this on other threads.
Potter cycles to work , there is no goldfish bowl. Here he couldn't go for a coffee without being accosted.
He' s on around 4 k a month and manages players who are semi pros or low earning pros with the average wage being around 800 quid a week not 30 k a week.
His team won the cup as most of the big Swedish clubs don't put out their best 11 in cup games and also the smaller team automatically gets
drawn at home so no tough away games.
He's been interviewed for Tv maybe half a dozen times.
It took him 7 years to go up 4 tiers and while that' s a good achievement in Sweden they are one of the favourites to go back down this season.
It's another experiment that would end in tears and apart from all that he has just signed a new 4 year deal at the club.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/graham-potter.27070/page-2#post-1260439

Just now, buster. said:

Potter would be an interesting appointment but tbh, we don't really want 'interesting' at this point in time.

We need pragmatic, respected and a level of experience that relates to the job at hand.

Warburton was an "interesting" appointment & got a lot of folk excited due to what he had done down south.

We definitely need more of a "known" entity - someone to rival Brenda.  the need to make an immediate impact on the team & instill a real consistency from one game to the next.

I was listening to part of Clyde SSB last night & the asked a Gers-caller if Sundays win offered a confidence boost ahead of the Old firm game.  My initial though was no....our form in general has been so inconsistent we can go from a great game one week, to absolute dross the next.  Any new manager MUST address that as a priority.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

From a certain point of view, one could argue that Potter is pragmatic, respected and has experience over a number of years. 

The issue is perhaps the level of that experience. 

Defeating Voldemort is no small achievement... :facepalm:  *gets coat*

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Maybe, but Potter has been successful over a longer term, albeit in the Swedish lower leagues.

Experience should rule anyone out, as long as they're the right candidate. Joachim Low was a nobody before taking Germany to new heights (relatively speaking!). 

Think you meant inexperience should not rule anyone out! MW only had Brentford, true. Low had better raw material than we have currently. Whoever takes over will need assurances about a transfer kitty; Mourinho wouldn't be able to do anything with us right now.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Potter is I believe 14th in a league of 16 at this time, simply not of the required calibre for us, I can just imagine all the magic hat jokes too.

Just now, Darthter said:

Warburton was an "interesting" appointment & got a lot of folk excited due to what he had done down south.

We definitely need more of a "known" entity - someone to rival Brenda.  the need to make an immediate impact on the team & instill a real consistency from one game to the next.

I was listening to part of Clyde SSB last night & the asked a Gers-caller if Sundays win offered a confidence boost ahead of the Old firm game.  My initial though was no....our form in general has been so inconsistent we can go from a great game one week, to absolute dross the next.  Any new manager MUST address that as a priority.

Yes, we weren't that good against Hearts; they made us look good. Nothings really changed.

Just now, Rousseau said:

One could argue that he is pragmatic. 

Experience maybe an issue, but it shouldn't rule anyone out if they are the right candidate -- I'm repeating myself, but Joachim Low.

At this point in time, I don't think managing Germany is the most difficult job in the world and the fact he seems quite happy there and as yet not willing to go into club football is I think a wise decision by him.

Conversly, managing say Brazil, England, Italy, Holland, Scotland is much more of a challenge.

Just now, alexscottislegend said:

Think you meant inexperience should not rule anyone out! MW only had Brentford, true. Low had better raw material than we have currently. Whoever takes over will need assurances about a transfer kitty; Mourinho wouldn't be able to do anything with us right now.

Yes, my mistake. 

Low does have an ok group of players. 

Mourinho wouldn't, but Guardiola would! :D