New manager rumours

2 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Warburton was an "interesting" appointment & got a lot of folk excited due to what he had done down south.

We definitely need more of a "known" entity - someone to rival Brenda.  the need to make an immediate impact on the team & instill a real consistency from one game to the next.

I was listening to part of Clyde SSB last night & the asked a Gers-caller if Sundays win offered a confidence boost ahead of the Old firm game.  My initial though was no....our form in general has been so inconsistent we can go from a great game one week, to absolute dross the next.  Any new manager MUST address that as a priority.

Agreed !

MW was a good appointment IMO and his first season was excellent bar the last month, during which seeds were sown that had the writing on the wall and meant it became an unhappy place / a matter of time.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

At this point in time, I don't think managing Germany is the most difficult job in the world and the fact he seems quite happy there and as yet not willing to go into club football is I think a wise decision by him.

Conversly, managing say Brazil, England, Italy, Holland, Scotland is much more of a challenge.

No way can you say that. He's transformed them. There was a period of 10 years where they were garbage. 

If it's the right man anyone one of those teams will be successful -- maybe not Scotland... -- and conversely, the wrong man will have them languishing. 

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

At this point in time, I don't think managing Germany is the most difficult job in the world and the fact he seems quite happy there and as yet not willing to go into club football is I think a wise decision by him.

Conversly, managing say Brazil, England, Italy, Holland, Scotland is much more of a challenge.

Joachim Low actually managed clubs  in Germany, Turkey, and Austria, with varying success, before Klinsmann brought him into the National set up. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No way can you say that. He's transformed them. There was a period of 10 years where they were garbage. 

If it's the right man anyone one of those teams will be successful -- maybe not Scotland... -- and conversely, the wrong man will have them languishing. 

Obviously he deserves a lot of credit but the quality coming through in Germany is outstanding and alongside their mental capacity means that you'd have to be a numpty not to do well in tournament football.

He was lucky wrt timing as well and got the job after a relative lean spell was coming to an end.

11 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Joachim Low actually managed clubs  in Germany, Turkey, and Austria, with varying success, before Klinsmann brought him into the National set up. 

Yes, but not to the level that he'd get linked to today.

eg. Arsenal would be a very difficult gig and one where he might be exposed somewhat.

edit

He's been at Germany (No.1) for a fair bit longer than he was cumulatively at the 7 clubs before hand.....and if he has sense, will probably clock up more years as the Germany manager.

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Obviously he deserves a lot of credit but the quality coming through in Germany is outstanding and alongside their mental capacity means that you'd have to be a numpty not to do well in tournament football.

He was lucky wrt timing as well and got the job after a relative lean spell was coming to an end.

He was involved in the turnaround, wrt to the behind-the-scenes development of young players; it's one of the reasons why he was appointed. 

I don't get this need to dismiss a manager's record, or performance, as nothing special simply because he's at a big team. 

Anyway, this is not the point of the thread. I only mentioned him because he exemplifies the 'right man for the job' idea.

The point is that he was an experienceed man, and did not spring fully formed from a coaching seminar, which is what a lot of people think.

Of course, whatever the team, whatever the level, ultimately it is the players, as we know to our cost. 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He was involved in the turnaround, wrt to the behind-the-scenes development of young players; it's one of the reasons why he was appointed. 

I don't get this need to dismiss a manager's record, or performance, as nothing special simply because he's at a big team. 

Anyway, this is not the point of the thread. I only mentioned him because he exemplifies the 'right man for the job' idea.

Germany isn't just a big team though.

They are a formidable and mentally strong group of world class proven winners backed up by a fantastic youth system. Not to mention an amazing tradition and consistency of success over many decades.

There are very few 'big teams' that can boast the same.

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

Germany isn't just a big team though.

They are a formidable and mentally strong group of world class proven winners backed up by a fantastic youth system. Not to mention an amazing tradition and consistency of success over many decades.

There are very few 'big teams' that can boast the same.

'Big team', great players doesn't guarantee success. 

His tactical innovations has taken them to a new level. 

I'm not discussing this any more; it was an aside. We'll just agree to disagree.