Steve Clarke record

2 minutes ago, MrGaryValentine said:

HAHA true but my point still stands.

At some points of our history, it would have....but not now.

The desperation for a winning team would have us applauding pragmatism for at least a season.

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

At some points of our history, it would have....but not now.

The desperation for a winning team would have us applauding pragmatism for at least a season.

Yeah I get that mate. Time will tell, whoever gets the job I will give him my backing. 

16 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I tend not to watch other Scottish sides in Europe, so I'll have to take your word that the opposition are all ball playing sides.

But Scottish football has its own peculiarities.  

Let's focus on winning, first and foremost.  

If we played good football chances are we would be winning. What's peculiar about Scottish football? It's one of the worst leagues in Europe and like any other league, the lower teams tend to raise their game against the better ones. I don't think there's anything special about it whatsoever. As said, if Scottish teams were so difficult to beat playing proper football, they would be proving so in Europe - instead of getting annihilated every single season. 

The only time we've played good football in recent memory is Warburton's first season where we blew everyone away, until the last few games.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Say what you like about Clarke but he's done a fantastic job with Killie.

Do I want him as Rangers manager?  Preferably not but I wouldn't mind a season of more pragmatic football if it meant a more reliable team that could deliver consistent results.

Is he a nominal Celtic supporter?  Certainly seems like he leans that way but I'm not so sure that kind of thing is a problem though I'd certainly prefer the opposite.  If it was between him and McInnes, then Clark has done a better job this season but, then again, McInnes can point to longevity. 

Personally I'd hope we have set our sights a bit higher.  But transfer budget and recent nonsense at the club may limit us there.

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Say what you like about Clarke but he's done a fantastic job with Killie.

Do I want him as Rangers manager?  Preferably not but I wouldn't mind a season of more pragmatic football if it meant a more reliable team that could deliver consistent results.

Is he a nominal Celtic supporter?  Certainly seems like he leans that way but I'm not so sure that kind of thing is a problem though I'd certainly prefer the opposite.  If it was between him and McInnes, then Clark has done a better job this season but, then again, McInnes can point to longevity. 

Personally I'd hope we have set our sights a bit higher.  But transfer budget and recent nonsense at the club may limit us there.

Who would you like that you consider to be aiming higher? Bearing in mind this is a guy with lots of experiencing coaching at the highest level, and whose made Killie the most on form team in the league over a sustained period. 

Just now, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Who would you like that you consider to be aiming higher? Bearing in mind this is a guy with lots of experiencing coaching at the highest level, and whose made Killie the most on form team in the league over a sustained period. 

I won't pretend to know the answer to that but there's no denying Clarke's job at Killie (so far) has been mightily impressive.  As for his career generally, he's done some decent work at a good level but clearly hasn't impressed enough over the piece to have ended up at Killie.

As such, I'm unconvinced that he could do the same at Rangers, though I could say the same about some of the other names mentioned. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

If we played good football chances are we would be winning. What's peculiar about Scottish football? 

Advocaat found out that good football doesn't mean winning the Scottish title as soon as O'Neill turned up.

What's peculiar about Scottish football?  Plastic pitches, the awful referees, the goldfish bowl that is Glasgow, the absolute hatred for Rangers.

2 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Look at the way Clarke reacted to the Jordan Jones stuff. That should be enough to put a line through his name right away.

What did he do that was so wrong? Would we not want a manager of ours to stick up for his club and its players?

4 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Look at the way Clarke reacted to the Jordan Jones stuff. That should be enough to put a line through his name right away.

I'm not so sure.  I didn't like his reaction but I think that was the point.

No reason why he wouldn't react the same if he faced a similar scenario at Rangers.