Looking ahead (end of season)

I'm still quite excited at the prospect of what happens in the summer.  Since the January transfer business, I've felt we are just two or three quality players away from having a title winning side, and I still feel that way.  It's easy to look at the last few performances and lump them all together as a disaster, but it's not been.  It's incredible how some minor issues, whether they be in the dressing room or otherwise, can cause a team to unravel.  That's what's happened to us.  With a strong manager in place, and a couple of leaders at the back (centre of defenc win particular), we should be in good shape.  This team needs to develop a winning mentality, and then it has to develop the character to bounce back from defeats.  Unfortunately, we didn't keep our winning streak going long enough to build that character and it's crumbled ever since.  Murty seems like a very good coach, but he has lacked the experience (obviously) to handle setbacks, and doesn't seem to know how to manage big egos.

As for AJ's point about being ahead of the curve, you should look at what he actually said and it's context.  He's right, we are!  Both on and off the pitch we are in good shape.  This managerial issue is a big one however and it's masking the fact that we have a pretty solid group of young players that can develop together for a long time.  Now we just need someone to get them to play to their potential.  If that happens, we will be challenging for the title next season.

14 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'm still quite excited at the prospect of what happens in the summer.  Since the January transfer business, I've felt we are just two or three quality players away from having a title winning side, and I still feel that way.  It's easy to look at the last few performances and lump them all together as a disaster, but it's not been.  It's incredible how some minor issues, whether they be in the dressing room or otherwise, can cause a team to unravel.  That's what's happened to us.  With a strong manager in place, and a couple of leaders at the back (centre of defenc win particular), we should be in good shape.  This team needs to develop a winning mentality, and then it has to develop the character to bounce back from defeats.  Unfortunately, we didn't keep our winning streak going long enough to build that character and it's crumbled ever since.  Murty seems like a very good coach, but he has lacked the experience (obviously) to handle setbacks, and doesn't seem to know how to manage big egos.

As for AJ's point about being ahead of the curve, you should look at what he actually said and it's context.  He's right, we are!  Both on and off the pitch we are in good shape.  This managerial issue is a big one however and it's masking the fact that we have a pretty solid group of young players that can develop together for a long time.  Now we just need someone to get them to play to their potential.  If that happens, we will be challenging for the title next season.

I'd agree with a fair bit of that but add that appointing a decent manager and signing the right quality players are something that has been beyond us for quite sometime.

In other words, to take a step-up is no given, it's only a possibility and IMO the probability is that any real 'step-up' will come in increments.

But that is guesswork and a lot depends on finances, which just as the First Team, need a lot of work.

The summer could be "exciting", in that I'd think there will probably be a lot of change at various levels. What that actually brings won't be exciting in a 1986 sense but it's more what it may lead to that might give us reason for optimism.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

I hope it is extended to the end of his contract.

Extremely doubtful given he seems to have retired from football other than pick up his wage.

He'll have 18 months left on his contract when his loan finishes and we'll probably be looking at trying to find another loan deal but picking up most of the wage this time.