Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

I still can't see it (the guy's Liverpool through and through) , but he has played to a standard none of our current crop could even dream of.
I'm excited about the possibility , doubts ? yes (from both perspectives), but yeah , let's do it. [emoji4]

11 hours ago, Little General said:

What's going to generate bigger headlines Warnock or Gerrard?

In terms of managerial experience Warnock is light years ahead. It would be a safe appointment ( not forgetting it won't happen due to Charles Green connection), however surely you can see the excitement in a big name appointment that would put the club in a positive light with the media over Europe and possibly the world.

I get the fact he has no managerial experience, but Jim Bowen once said " That's the gamble".

It will obviously sell season tickets and replica strips.

No sorry don't see it at all. Don't see it attracting any extra sales infact the opposite tbh certainly don't see it being spun positively in the press. It will be called for what it is. Mental.He doesn't even have a pro licence just level four.

Edited by trublusince1982

14 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

No sorry don't see it at all. Don't see it attracting any extra sales infact the opposite tbh certainly don't see it being spun positively in the press. It will be called for what it is. Mental.

Unfortunately I don't think you see any way to look at Rangers in a positive light.

10 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

No sorry don't see it at all. Don't see it attracting any extra sales infact the opposite tbh certainly don't see it being spun positively in the press. It will be called for what it is. Mental.

The crucial aspect to this prospective appointment is what backing he would receive, ie. bottomline,  what kind of player would be recruited. If it were to be of a notably better quality than we currently have, then a degree of excitement (extra sales/coverage, etc) would follow, ie. new manager + better players = reasonable expectations for positive change.

SG as the new manager alone would invite reasonable doubt, opposed to positive expectation.

1 minute ago, pete said:

Unfortunately I don't think you see any way to look at Rangers in a positive light.

Right now obviously not. We are a complete basket case and most are making up ludicrous reasons to get behind decisions

ohh on a side note I have a bridge to sell if your interested it's prominently placed in London

No idea how a guy third in the lesser u18 league can somehow promote excitement as a manager. Guess it's just me . Starting to feel like the world has gone insane. Maybe this time it will workout and not be another massively stupid idea as it seems on paper. Suppose can hope that the constant rolling of dice has to pay off one time surely

7 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

No idea how a guy third in the lesser u18 league can somehow promote excitement as a manager. Guess it's just me . Starting to feel like the world has gone insane. Maybe this time it will workout and not be another massively stupid idea as it seems on paper. Suppose can hope that the constant rolling of dice has to pay off one time surely

That doesn't really make sense.

With justification or not, football supporters do tend to get 'excited' by big or well known names.

It's almost a perception of brand value. Gerrard isn't "a guy", he is Steven Gerrard.

A little further down the line, excitement then morphs into something else, either positive or negative.