Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

Just now, trublusince1982 said:

It's upto half a mil. Not sure of incentives etc thought that was known tbh.

Who came out with that figure...can't see the club officially releasing that kind of info.  

If it's not official from the club, it an't be relied upon (IMHO).  The fact remains that we don't even know WHO they are looking at for certain, never mind how much they are willing to pay.  £500k might of been a figured talked about for a particular candidate, rather than an absolute ceiling.

41 minutes ago, pete said:

Agree totally and to add FC Twenthe went for the experienced manager in Gert-Jan Verbeek to get them away from the drop zone. They just got worse with him fighting with the players and he got sacked a few months later. Unfortunately it looks like Twenthe will be playing in the second league next season.

Ignores context. A gamble must be weighed within context of not just the upside/downside but prudence. At this point with all considered we should be mitigating the gamble as far as humanly possible. Going tried and tested obviously doesn't guarantee success but it does lower the chance of failure 

Gerrard sees the risk grow exponentially. There is zero mitigating positives. He has done zero manager wise to make anyone see a guardiola who for instance caused ripples with his youth style and success. Taking the best youth manager around who has success under his belt is less of a gamble than say a guy who hasn't stood out. 

9 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Who came out with that figure...can't see the club officially releasing that kind of info.  

If it's not official from the club, it an't be relied upon (IMHO).  The fact remains that we don't even know WHO they are looking at for certain, never mind how much they are willing to pay.  £500k might of been a figured talked about for a particular candidate, rather than an absolute ceiling.

Sorry should have been clearer. That figure is from me. Was told it a while back when King et al took over. Comes from club. Had thought at the time of canixiha etc it had became public knowledge

yeah true we don't know who we are looking at but we do know what has occurred. Warburton, Canixiha , Mccinnes and murty. Common sense tells you the wage is lower than say a mil since these guys aren't in that bracket

edit

to add to the above its not that they're no manager options available in the whole footballing world who want and could do the job. It's we can't find a manager within our own set parameters who is attractive to the full board. That's why we got stuck with murty (it was a stalemate)

That in my mind is because the parameters (wage, style, knowing the league, British) that king is demanding has limited the options to a degree that is unpalatable and not sufficient for our current predicament. I blame one man, King. I would put money on the fact it's his love of Liverpool and love of Gerard as a player that is seeing us accept Gerard instead of going back to the drawing board and resetting our wants and package and finding agreement across the board. He is a bully and knows no other way to deal

since Steve Clarke has now said we have not approached him for me that just shows we are gambling way more than we need to and is prudent to do, all because King wants British and has a love for Gerard that is blinding him to the abhorrent level of risk associated. 

Hes covering the the cost so of course it's upto him but that doesn't mean I will sit quietly and watch him run us into the ground same as I did with green and Ashley. People at the club are worried. The board are not working as one. Though I'm sure each in his own way thinks they are.

Edited by trublusince1982

18 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

It's upto half a mil. Not sure of incentives etc thought that was known tbh.

McCoist was on £825k back in the days when we were completely skint (before he took a wage cut). We're not exactly rolling in cash these days, but I'd like to think we're doing better than we were 3-4 years ago.

If we're offering less for a manager now, the club either needs to pony up for a decent calibre of manager, or we all need to lower our expectations of who we can afford to bring in.

5 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

McCoist was on £825k back in the days when we were completely skint (before he took a wage cut). We're not exactly rolling in cash these days, but I'd like to think we're doing better than we were 3-4 years ago.

If we're offering less for a manager now, the club either needs to pony up for a decent calibre of manager, or we all need to lower our expectations of who we can afford to bring in.

Think the whole coach manager debate would probably be used to explain the drop. Personally do think we used to massively over pay, but if we keep looking for managers in the richest league set up in the world then at our budget we will not often find unearthed diamonds. Same wage further afield brings more and in my opinion better options. But too many are stuck on this nonsense about needing to know our ways and British etc it's why I say we are xenophobic. We should look at other nations and learn instead we want them to change to ways and styles that no longer bring success 

Just now, trublusince1982 said:

Think the whole coach manager debate would probably be used to explain the drop. Personally do think we used to massively over pay, but if we keep looking for managers in the richest league set up in the world then at our budget we will not often find unearthed diamonds. Same wage further afield brings more and in my opinion better options. But too many are stuck on this nonsense about needing to know our ways and British etc it's why I say we are xenophobic. We should look at other nations and learn instead we want them to change to ways and styles that no longer bring success 

Broadly agree with you - don't know if I agree that we're xenophobic though. I think the issue is, we can bring all the foreign coaches/managers in we want and change our own style, but we can't change the way other teams play. If every other team parks the bus, no amount of fancy footwork will make a difference.

The Board and/or King will do as it/he wants, and no amount of argument here, or on any other Rangers' forum, or by Twitter champions, or in any tap room, lounge, or, indeed, perhaps even lodge, will make one whit of difference.  Them's the Rules. 

So, to the pachyderm in the parlour: will Stevie G get a game out of Carlos Pena?

Some interesting comments , we all have Rangers at heart.
I think it would be a great appointment - he has a big club mentality which some previous appointments didn't , he's a winner with his managerial career in front of him , I understand and agree with many of the points against , but broadly speaking - do l think it would be good for Rangers ? = yes.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

The Board and/or King will do as it/he wants, and no amount of argument here, or on any other Rangers' forum, or by Twitter champions, or in any tap room, lounge, or, indeed, perhaps even lodge, will make one whit of difference.  Them's the Rules. 

So, to the pachyderm in the parlour: will Stevie G get a game out of Carlos Pena?

The job desription is Manager/Head Coach, not miracle worker.

Pena has retired from professional football but has managed to maintain the right to pick up a wage.