The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

I've thought about this and still can't get my head around what the gain is from sniping at what is apparently an imminent new signing. I always thought it was traditional at Rangers to wait until a player had a ball at his feet before we start dismantling his confidence.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've thought about this and still can't get my head around what the gain is from sniping at what is apparently an imminent new signing. I always thought it was traditional at Rangers to wait until a player had a ball at his feet before we start dismantling his confidence.

True...but in this case he's previously had the ball at his feet, and tripped over it ;)

1 hour ago, pete said:

Personally I would prefer a striker who can head the ball. I would have an inquiery about Bas Dost

Watching the team this is the type of striker I thought we've needed too. We've played a lot of long ball, and we have some great crossers from both sides in the team now for the first time in a while with Barisic and Tavernier.

Anyway we haven't been linked with anyone fitting that description so we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Lafferty. I think he'll get a warm welcome from everyone if he joins.

Edited by DMAA

4 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

that was 6 years ago.  Let it go, you'll be in a happier place when you do :)

based on his stats since then...he's still done a lot of ball tripping!!!!  He is NOT a prolific goal scorer - his career record supports that.  Therefore, if he's not a proven goal scorer, what is he going to bring to the team???

2 minutes ago, Darthter said:

based on his stats since then...he's still done a lot of ball tripping!!!!  He is NOT a prolific goal scorer - his career record supports that.  Therefore, if he's not a proven goal scorer, what is he going to bring to the team???

Here's the bottom line. We won't be asked to endorse any offer for Lafferty. Nor will we know how well he does until after the event? Relax, life is good.

2 hours ago, Darthter said:

I'm sure the manager sees him playing a role and I'm not going to question that.  Big Prso was never a proven goal scorer as you put it and offered plenty to the team.

5 hours ago, Darthter said:

Career total of 407 games....98 goals scored.

Morelos is only 25 career goals short of Lafferty, after only 137 games.  Lafferty is certainly NOT the reliable striker that many folk seem to think - his 19 goals for Hearts last season was only the 3rd time he's hit double figures in a season (other twice being 2013-14 with Palermo(12) and 2010-11 with us(15).) and also his highest goal tally ever in a single season.

Also, as we have seen in recent years, many Gers fans don't like players who "disappear" in games.....what's Lafferty's work rate like???  I've never got the impression that he was a grafter.....

But like I say he'll contribute.  He's not being brought in to be our main striker. 

7 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Scoring in different leagues is completely irrelevant when you're consistently getting extremely poor goal returns. Am I meant to be impressed that Lafferty went to Switzerland and scored 5 league goals in 25 games? If he achieved any goalscoring consistency he wouldn't have to keep finding new clubs. 

He clearly contributes.  Is he a world beater? No of course not. But we need players that can contribute and Lafferty fits that bill.