Defend or attack  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see from our wing/full backs??

• solid defense, weaker attack
    • weaker defense, solid attack

As has been mentioned before, one of our biggest defensive issues has been our wing backs getting caught (on the break) too far up the pitch and were are then reliant on our CB's & possibly MF providing cover....or the WB sprinting back and throwing in a fairly rash challenge.

Personally, I would like the FB's to be slightly less attacking, so that they aren't so far out of position if we get caught on the break.  In order for that to happen, we would rely on the likes of Candeias or Murphy to link with Tav/John slightly further back, then the wingers can push forward more.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

This doesn't square with the number of goals we've conceded this season. We are 5th in terms of goals conceded this season. And we're only 2 goals better than Killie and 4 than Motherwell. In other words we could easily be 7th.

The stats don't lie, our defensive record is appalling and nobody has had difficulty scoring against us this season or last. Bottom of the table Ross County scored against us in every game. As did 3rd bottom Hamilton who scored 6 against us in 3 games. We've conceded 45 two seasons in a row, and we haven't even played our last game of the season. This is our worst goals conceded tally in 32 years.

This obviously isn't due to having attack minded full backs, we just don't have enough defensive ability in the squad as a whole and that includes full backs.

I don’t see how anyone can argue with those numbers. Really shocking when you see it laid out. Scoring the goals we do, we could easily have been challenging Celtic if we had conceded fewer. 

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don’t see how anyone can argue with those numbers. Really shocking when you see it laid out. Scoring the goals we do, we could easily have been challenging Celtic if we had conceded fewer. 

Was it not always Walter's philosophy to make your team hard to beat 1st & foremost.  Solid at the back, with a quick transition to attack....however the solid at the back begins to crumble when 1/2 your defense is up in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Was it not always Walter's philosophy to make your team hard to beat 1st & foremost.  Solid at the back, with a quick transition to attack....however the solid at the back begins to crumble when 1/2 your defense is up in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Amen to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it not simply play to your strengths? if you have a team that is better defending than attacking then you do it? if you have players that are better attacking then you do it?. WS deployed the best system for the players he had.

The system we have been deploying is a great system, if you have the players that can play it! if we had better CB's our system will work and I like our system as it is all about attacking for me. It will be interesting what system SG wants to set out!

Edited by ian1964

Attacking football isn't entirely successful in Scotland.  

The yahoo teams in the early 90s were decent attacking teams and won very little.  Pragmatism is the name of the game.

It's not even about the individuals, though. It's the team set-up. Did anyone really think Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso (a Bolton reject a few years earlier) would make good wing-backs? Individually, they are average, but within Conte's system they look good; especially last season, they were a nightmare to score against. It's all about incorporating the skill-sets of players into the whole.