30 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

If Russia had made it through the quarter finals and the semis, we would have the exact replication of the Euro Final that Greece "won" all those years ago ... on so many levels.

The Belgians were probably the most exciting team to watch, and looking back, it was kind of sad that soo many "better" teams were lumped into certain groups together, while more mediocre teams had an easier passage. Whoever wins it now will clad themselves in the title's colours, but whether they are really the best after such a tournament ...

Very quickly after tournaments people forget who the "best team" was.... the ONLY thing that matters is that it was won.

Would we have been happy to point out we weren't the best team in the 2008 Europa League had we won it ?  Of course not, and only the haters would be complaining about the best team not winning it.

It is the very nature of football.

31 minutes ago, buster. said:

It was basically 'The Hazard Show' (what an effort plus a sackful of ability) , very little from the rest.

De Bruyne was poor and they couldn't get decent service to Lukakua.

France have a very strong midfield and this helped keep the Belguims at bay.

Belgium should have ditched either a midfielder or defender much sooner than they did to get Batshuayi on.  Like him or not, he is a striker who could have helped Lukaku out.  They continued with a very ineffectual Fellaini - they could have taken him off as they had Witsel still on, brought on Batshuayi and tried to get more service to the front two.  They made it pretty comfortable for France in all fairness - and only the heroics of Courtouis prevented France from winning 2 or 3-0 in the end (early in the game it was Lloris that kept France in it - proof if you ever needed it that a quality keeper keeps you in games and in tournaments.... which is why I am so happy we have McGregor back at Rangers).

Hazard is clearly back to his old self.  Was simply outstanding last night - could you imagine a team with Hazard and Mbappe on it ??? :shock:

That French midfield 3 is very strong with Pogba, Kante and Matuidi.... and I would probably actually bin Matuidi as I think Tolisso has had a very good tournament.  It is interesting though - because that midfield 3 isn't very creative... but what they lack in creativity they make up for in range of passing.... by that I mean you wont often see any of them ghost past a player, but if Kante breaks play down and the ball gets to Pogba his range of passing has seen Mbappe released on multiple occasions.

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Belgium should have ditched either a midfielder or defender much sooner than they did to get Batshuayi on.  Like him or not, he is a striker who could have helped Lukaku out.  They continued with a very ineffectual Fellaini - they could have taken him off as they had Witsel still on, brought on Batshuayi and tried to get more service to the front two.  They made it pretty comfortable for France in all fairness - and only the heroics of Courtouis prevented France from winning 2 or 3-0 in the end (early in the game it was Lloris that kept France in it - proof if you ever needed it that a quality keeper keeps you in games and in tournaments.... which is why I am so happy we have McGregor back at Rangers).

Hazard is clearly back to his old self.  Was simply outstanding last night - could you imagine a team with Hazard and Mbappe on it ??? :shock:

That French midfield 3 is very strong with Pogba, Kante and Matuidi.... and I would probably actually bin Matuidi as I think Tolisso has had a very good tournament.  It is interesting though - because that midfield 3 isn't very creative... but what they lack in creativity they make up for in range of passing.... by that I mean you wont often see any of them ghost past a player, but if Kante breaks play down and the ball gets to Pogba his range of passing has seen Mbappe released on multiple occasions.

Belguim reached their ceiling in the first half of the Brazil game, who IMO were easier to play against than the French.

Wrt midfield creativity, I think Griezmann often drops back and alongside Pogba helps link middle to front. 

All things considered, the French, IMO have been the best all round side at this WC. They've got a good mix of ingredients that is proving to be effective. 

Commentator:England have been rewriting history since they arrived. what the F have they done. Beat 3 teams they were expected to beat. That is why I hope they get gubbed.

49 minutes ago, compo said:

England are half way there to the final despite a flat 45 minutes from them , Croatia have been poor so far .

England are lucky to be still in it. Croatia much better in that half. Moderic starting to dictate the game. No.4 is good as well he does some amount of running.

1 minute ago, pete said:

England are lucky to be still in it. Croatia much better in that half. Moderic starting to dictate the game. No.4 is good as well he does some amount of running.

The poor second half fron England make Croatia look good