For me, Belgium are the only side that have been consistently 'good', with good attacking football and tactical flexibility. But they do have a fragility at the back. 

France were superb against Argentina, but Argentina were poor. The other games they scored from a set-piece and were gifted a goal against a Uruguay side set-up to defend; Once they scored Uruguay were screwed, doubly so without Cavani.  

England have been good in spells, but have had a fortunate run. I expect any side that plays well to beat them; the rest have the quality to do so. 

Croatia are a solid side, but they've not played well since the opening games. They are solid in possession, without cutting teams open. They are solid defensively from open-play, but have conceded sloppy goals from set-pieces. (England have been the best at set-pieces.)

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

For me, Belgium are the only side that have been consistently 'good', with good attacking football and tactical flexibility. But they do have a fragility at the back. 

France were superb against Argentina, but Argentina were poor. The other games they scored from a set-piece and were gifted a goal against a Uruguay side set-up to defend; Once they scored Uruguay were screwed, doubly so without Cavani.  

England have been good in spells, but have had a fortunate run. I expect any side that plays well to beat them; the rest have the quality to do so. 

Croatia are a solid side, but they've not played well since the opening games. They are solid in possession, without cutting teams open. They are solid defensively from open-play, but have conceded sloppy goals from set-pieces. (England have been the best at set-pieces.)

This WC will go down for when winning a corner-kick was actually worth cheering.

IIRC there was a stat at the Euros 2016 that only one in 40 corners resulted in a goal, how things change or at least appear to.

You may end up with a Final where the two biggest dangers are Mbappe and Maguire !!

3 hours ago, buster. said:

I doubt there has ever been an easier half of a WC draw to get through to a Final than what England have had in front of them in 2018.

Tunisia, Panama, Columbia, Sweden and Croatia 

Straightforward but it's been like getting teeth pulled and for the good of the game, I hope a team who have showed more football like France or Belguim win it.

Reminiscent of celtic’s triumphal march to some final or other in Lisbon, I think it was.

But I hope England win it, not for the tv-watching, pizza-eating, lager-swilling, sofa-sitting girlies and their gloopy blokes who’ve never climbed a terrace in December in their lives and not for the studio blabberers but for the thousands who every weekend travel from Sunderland to Bournemouth, from Dover to Wrexham to watch unfancied teams and for the players themselves. They seem to be a decent enough lot. No Beckhams or other Fauntleroys. 

The football purist would say Belgium deserve it.

6 hours ago, compo said:

Think Russia scored what may be the goal of the tournament last night. 

De Bruyne's against Brazil for me.  That's the kind of goal you dream about scoring.  

On 18/06/2018 at 10:17, buster. said:

The 3 sides at the top of the pre-tournament betting for winning the WC have all played and to varying degrees, dissappointed.

It's often the case that the big sides start slowly and get better as the tournament goes on, eg. Spain lost the first group game in 2010 and won the competition. Germany lost the first game in 82 and made the final. Over the years, Italy were the most consistent at this 'approach'.

Over the last half century or so, there have been 4 main teams who have enjoyed WC success, Brazil, (W) Germany, Argentina and Italy.

The Netherlands poked their noses in as beaten Finalists in 74 and 78. 

Not until the French won it in 98 did a team outside the 'big 4' make a Final again.

Since then it has opened up a little with France, Spain and the Netherlands playing a part and 2010 saw the first ever final without a 'big 4' team (started in 1930).

My main point being is that the first round of fixtures will have given more hope to sides like Belguim, Croatia, Portugal, England that this is a real opportunity.

Three out of four ain't bad :eek:

If Russia had made it through the quarter finals and the semis, we would have the exact replication of the Euro Final that Greece "won" all those years ago ... on so many levels.

The Belgians were probably the most exciting team to watch, and looking back, it was kind of sad that soo many "better" teams were lumped into certain groups together, while more mediocre teams had an easier passage. Whoever wins it now will clad themselves in the title's colours, but whether they are really the best after such a tournament ...

Edited by der Berliner

12 hours ago, compo said:

Was very disappointed with Belgium's performance after France scored very uninspiring I thought .

It was basically 'The Hazard Show' (what an effort plus a sackful of ability) , very little from the rest.

De Bruyne was poor and they couldn't get decent service to Lukakua.

France have a very strong midfield and this helped keep the Belguims at bay.