Ex-Celtic starlet suing club in sex abuse case

Forgive my cynicism. But expect this to be settled, the claimant paid off, and the lid to be kept on this snake pit of child abuse for a bit longer.

You would hope that someone in the media would have the guts to shine a light on this and call out the cover up and hypocrisy for what it is and give these poor kids the justice that they deserve. That fact that nobody will shames Scotland and its so-called independent press.

I think we should sue the Daily Record for blackmailing and bringing our name into disrepute ... mainly by being utterly partial and biased untowards us and not naming Torbett or Scum FC with a single letter, but having splashed sex abuse / child abuse (horrific crimes on this planet) and our name next to Neely ...

SFA face compensation claim from six survivors of alleged sex abuse who were 'failed miserably'

Lawyers accused the footballing body of a “wilful disregard” which allowed suspected paedophiles to prey on children, while victims blasted SFA chairman's apology.

Six survivors of alleged sexual abuse by football officials today announced they are suing the SFA for compensation.

Lawyers for the victims – who have given harrowing accounts of their ordeals – accused the footballing body of a “wilful disregard” which allowed suspected paedophiles to prey on children.

One survivor said the SFA must take care of those it had “already failed miserably”.

Thompsons Solicitors, representing the six, said they are sending the Scottish Football Association paperwork for the civil damages action.

Legal sources said the SFA could face a multi-million-pound settlement over the court claims.

The legal bid comes just days after SFA chairman Ian Maxwell offered a “heartfelt” apology to youngsters who suffered sex abuse while under their care.

Maxwell delivered his message to survivors as interim findings from a review into historical abuse were published last week.

The review found football’s child protection policies were “not fit for purpose”.

Thompsons said it was the SFA’s “professional duty” to put in place safeguards they “failed completely in that duty”.

Peter Haynes, who previously told how he was abused by SFA official and coach Hugh Stevenson, who died in 2004, is among the claimants.

Peter said Stevenson subjected him him to a three or four year campaign of sexual abuse, including rape, from 1979.

He said: “SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell has told the country he believes his organisation’s child protection
policies are a success.

“I have asked him to clarify his statement. He has not as yet agreed to this. The hurt his statement caused to myself, my family and other survivors is beyond measure.

“How on Earth can they say they haven’t failed children in the past?

“Mr Maxwell says the SFA want a world-class child safety policy. That should begin with taking care of those it has already failed miserably.”

Fellow Thompsons client John Cleland has told how he was abused by Rangers and Hibs football coach Gordon Neely, who died in 2014.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/sfa-face-compensation-claim-six-13001352

In my opinion it should be the club's that employed these beasts that should pay compensation plus the deduction of titles , cups won whilst the beasts were at these clubs and if that includes our own club then so be it .

The problem is that I neither the SFA nor SPL/SPFL has rules or guidelines for such stuff, unlike  - AFAIK - the US chaps concerned with the Penn State affair had. They would have to utilize some flexible paragraph and make up rules as they go along. Not that they are inexperienced here, as we all know. Problem 2 would be that those ruling about it would have to have guts the size of a sabretooth tiger, as there will be enormous pressure being put on them ... and a certain club will ensure that if it gets punished, anyone remotely concerned with similar affairs will be chased too. And we won't see any sort of objectivity either .... I mean, just look above. One club's name is excluded wherever possible, yet ours thrown in at leisure, even if we acted instantly and in line with the law.

IMHO, this will only get dragged into the open if someone BIG from outside Scotland takes it up and causes a reaction.

Whether we like it or not,child abuse was perhaps more widespread than it was thought to be in years gone by and was found in a variety of organisations & sports including football.

However the criminal aspect to this is for the authorities to investigate & take whatever action against those involved.

All the SFA can do is investigate whether any of its member clubs attempted to cover up or ignore any child abuse that took place under its jurisdiction.

One club in Scotland certainly has many questions to answer regards this in my opinion. 

I suspect our old foe Mr Regan wasn’t keen to do this hence he resigned