Gerrard has no intention of sitting on Maribor lead

Steven Gerrard insists Rangers have no intention of sitting on their first-leg lead over Maribor as he promised to take the fight to the Slovenians.

The Light Blues have flown out for their latest Europa League qualifier with a 3-1 advantage after last week's Ibrox triumph.

Gers boss Gerrard, though, does not want to invite pressure on his team by having them sit in when they run out for Thursday's return.

He believes his new-look side have the attacking threat to finish the job off in style and wants his players to make a statement by gunning down Darko Milanic's men.

He said: 'At some point Maribor are going to have to take some risks in the game and I will pick a team with enough attacking talent to hopefully go and hurt them.

'This is not a case of us coming here to hang on and try to grind through the 90 minutes in order to get over the line.'

Gerrard confirmed that Ryan Jack, Lassana Coulibaly and Scott Arfield are 'all good to go' after shaking off their recent injury concerns.

But with Jon Flanagan suspended and new signing Borna Barisic ineligible, the Ibrox manager does have a decision to make over who starts at left back.

Midfielder Andy Halliday is the favourite to plug the hole in Gers' defence.

Gerrard said: 'First and foremost I trust every one of my players. Everyone on the aeroplane has my trust. I'm confident that if any of them are called upon they will come out and do the shirt justice.

'The good thing for me at the moment is that I have every single person in the squad fighting to be part of that 11.

'It's a shame that Jon's suspended and Borna's not available but it will be an opportunity for someone else and they have to be ready to take that challenge - but I do have confidence in every player.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6064247/Steven-Gerrard-insists-Rangers-no-intention-sitting-leg-lead.html

33 minutes ago, craig said:

Saw this earlier.  I like his style, panache and forthright honesty.

Or is it part of a crafty strategy to keep them guessing? I don't see us going recklessly at it because we don't need to. They do. 

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Or is it part of a crafty strategy to keep them guessing? I don't see us going recklessly at it because we don't need to. They do. 

He didn't say reckless either.

6 hours ago, pete said:

Being offensive does not necessarily mean reckless. 

First line of defence is attack and all that.

I don't think we will change an awful lot from the first leg.  We weren't all out attack-minded in the first leg either - it was very measured and I believe he will do the same but with slightly less emphasis on attacking - being a solid, sound defensive unit and being a little more opportunistic going forward.