Highest old firm score

30 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Some of these old books leave a lot to be desired, no proper research done e.g John Allan. I would go with the Gallant Pioneers/Founders Trail guys, they have actually done detailed research. They have not mentioned this game to my knowledge?

Robert McElroy's Rangers Historian ran for 25 years, It was a magazine format with over 100 editions.

Reference John Allan, he was commissioned to pen the first half of Rangers existence. Allan was more a statistician than a historian, the fly leaf pull out(the Story of the Rangers - Fifty years of football 1873-1923) containing all Rangers competitive results during that period is invaluable. There's the problem with Allan right there, he was late in finishing the book, thus changed our date of founding from 1872 to 1873 to suit his preferred title. Further, he spun a tale of lusty lads and derring do. A lot happened from February 1872 and Allan ignored it because it was inconvenient.

Aren't there Excel files out and about with all games and players? Tried to open it every now and then, but it usually takes ages or does not open at all ... probably due to the amount of tables/data put into one file.

EDIT one 126MB and another 105MB Excel file. 1872 till 2016

Edited by der Berliner

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Aren't there Excel files out and about with all games and players? Tried to open it every now and then, but it usually takes ages or does not open at all ... probably due to the amount of tables/data put into one file.

EDIT one 126MB and another 105MB Excel file. 1872 till 2016

I have a copy of the Excel files, not been updated since 2012. If memory serves me right I think its the work of a FF poster (HWNN?). Now it gets interesting, this from the files: 

"Against Celtic In some early day matches (like the 9-1 defeat of the Tims) it was our 2nd team (The Swifts) that played - but they're included because by most accounts our 2nd team were better than the first - and attracted bigger crowds too!
Friendly 1888 Present 1888-89 Aug 11 Sat a Celtic 9 1    

Unknown (9). Unknown.
Southern League - Division A 1940-41 1946-47 1942-43 Jan 1 Fri H Celtic 8 1 30,000 Gillick (3). W Waddell (2). G Young (2, 1 pen). J Duncanson. Duncan. McDonald (Celtic)       Lynch (Celtic)
Our 1st team beat Celtic 8-1 in January 1943 (in the League) - so even if you exclude the 'Swifts' result (against what surely must've been their first X1 - they were 'founded' that year) that's the record result between our clubs!

Don't let Celtic fans dissuade you of that fact - in the vast majority of Celtic books they include 'their' Goalscorers records from WW2 (only real difference from WW1 was their was crowd limits due to the German bombing!".

But as I have already said on the same day Celtic gubbed Airdrie 8-0.

Yeah, The Horse with No Name's spreadsheet has us playing Celtic on 11 August 1888 at the "first Celtic Park" with us winning 9-1. No other details, including players or scorers were known (I think that's what Bearger is trying to say but the formatting is screwed up).