A Retrospective Look At Saturday

Now that the dust has settled on our latest OF victory, I though that Iââ?¬â?¢d take a retrospective look back at the events on Saturday. Firstly, I firmly believe that Saturday was one of the best atmospheres I have witnessed at Ibrox for a few seasons (at the very least). Our fans were absolutely fantastic and were back to their witty and impromptu best. Some of the chants were hilarious and all in all, delivered in a non-sectarian fashion, pity the same canââ?¬â?¢t be said of our visitors, who when they did bother to sing, indulged in their usual sectarian and IRA worshiping bile ââ?¬â?? but enough of our unwanted and unwelcome guests.

On the pitch the players were up-for-it from the first whistle and showed a desire that has been missing for large parts of this season (and last if we are being honest). We were first to ever ball, never allowed Craptic to settle and bossed them all over the pitch. It was a sight to gladden this old cynical so-and-so ââ?¬â?? what the players showed on Saturday is a prerequisite of pulling on the famous light blue jersey and every player should have that desire, determination and application every time he is lucky enough to play for The Rangers.

Watching Thomas Graveson running around like a headless chicken trying to keep up with, or take possession away from Thompson, Hendami and Ferguson was a joy to watch. Here is a player who has ââ?¬Ë?gracedââ?¬â?¢ the EPL and La Liga, yet is getting led a merry dance in the SPL. He was lucky not to receive a red card for his continual fouling, something that only went unnoticed by yet another inept Scottish referee. As per usual, he wasnââ?¬â?¢t the only Craptic player to be let of lightly, Naylor should have walked for his assault on Novo, and I assume that the SFA will use video evidence on both (yeah, I knowââ?¬Â¦.!)ââ?¬Â¦..

Both our goals were well taken, but in all honesty, should have been defended a lot better. Boyd simply strayed from his marker and whilst his shot was well taken, it wasnââ?¬â?¢t the hardest shot and was saveable. Adamââ?¬â?¢s free-kick was very cleverly taken and Charlie did brilliantly to see that Borac was urging his wall to ââ?¬Ë?jumpââ?¬â?¢ when the ball was struck. Maybe Iââ?¬â?¢m doing Adam and Boyd a disservice as they say that all goals are preventable. We should and could have taken the Tims to the cleaners as we had plenty of chances. I bet I wasnââ?¬â?¢t the only one praying for Sebo to ripple the net with one of his chances. The big guy is so likeable and gives you 100% every time he plays. He deserved a goal on Saturday.

The OF game wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be the OF game (with Rangers winning that is) if it didnââ?¬â?¢t boil over ââ?¬â?? step forward Naylor (yeah him again) and Hutton. In saying that, why does Neil Lennon have to get involved in ever ââ?¬Ë?meleeââ?¬â?¢ that happens within a 100 mile radius? The events after the final whistle summed Craptic and their players up to a ââ?¬Ë?Tââ?¬â?¢ and with Borac been reported to the Police (for the 4th time in as many months) weââ?¬â?¢ll just have to hope that the authorities come down hard on the Pole. It is worth noting here (as youââ?¬â?¢ll not read it anywhere else) that Borac wasnââ?¬â?¢t reported and sanctioned for blessing himself at Iborx, his offence was to make gestures to the fans. But when has the truth stopped the Mhedia having a dig at Rangers and us the fans?

There wasnââ?¬â?¢t a player in light blue who didnââ?¬â?¢t contribute to the performance and result and hence, all would get pass marks and more. Special praise though for Alan Hutton who has this fan (gladly) eating his words. His performances of late have been outstanding and he is an example to the other ââ?¬Ë?underperformersââ?¬â?¢ of what can be achieved with the correct attitude and application.

There is no denying that we still have a long way to go, but at least we have put a marker down for next season. We are more consistent, less likely to lose stupid goals (ergo, lose games that we shouldn�t), with the correct players arriving in the summer (if the budget is available) and with the luck that you inevitably require, we could win OUR trophy back. In saying that, it�ll all depend on the new signings. WS and his team need to get every signing 100% correct, there is no room and no money for errors.

Cammy F

Guest gerbilly

I can't argue with any of that mate, it was a fantastic result and credit should go to the whole team for their total commitment which went a long way in helping the fans create the atmosphere that we did, On THAT lot...as for Bawfuc, well he's just an embarrassment to them and even Lennon recognised the need to take nothing to do with his flag stunt...we might miss Lennon you know, he gets us fired up which is a good thing in these games, still there's always Naylor and McGreedy to fall back on if we need to abuse someone, and Hartley and Pressley and McManus and Miller and the wee ginger man himself "Gordon is a moron" Strachan....the list is endless my friend.:D

On watching the highlights on Scotsport (well I had to for once) really enjoyed the Hutton "incident". Am I right in thinking it comes not long after Naylor tried to assault Novo, which scotsport glossed over largely whislt highlighting this. Naylor and another mmhank trying to rough Novo up, Hutton steam in, wins the ball and smacks Naylor at the smae time. Naylor gets in his face, then JvoH, Miller and Lennon. All get the same response "fuck off". Excellent from Hutton, sticking up for his team mate, and not backing down to any of the mhanks. Great fighting spirit. Harshly booked imo, went for a ball that was there to be won and got it. But got two mhanks booked in the process. Quickly becoming my favourite player, although I was one of few who was supportive earlier on this season and previous ones.

Spot on analysis Cammy.

And so right about Sebo, as soon as he came on the pitch I shouted "c'mon Sebo, gives a goal". I think if he had a further 15 mins he would have scored. Actually his best chance was just after his first effort when Ferguson was about to put him clean through 1 on 1 but some mhank intercepted the ball. I think he should stay next season. I believe if he hits the net once he could be off and running. He has the potential to assist also as he can run at defenders and lay it off for Boyd.

Agree the goals were potentially saveable but we deserved them and if that game had finished 0-0 it would have been a farce.

Agree with your whole article apart from one we thing

You said the goals were preventable, of course they were, every goal can be preventable in football but it doesn't happen. Boyd to his goal well and caught Boruc out as he thought he was going to take a touch and Adam's was sheer class

Agree with your whole article apart from one we thing

You said the goals were preventable, of course they were, every goal can be preventable in football but it doesn't happen. Boyd to his goal well and caught Boruc out as he thought he was going to take a touch and Adam's was sheer class

Good points Fraser, most goals are preventable, all of them are if you go back enough in play. Goals mostly come from a good bit of skill matched by a lapse in defending.

I get fed up hearing that Nakamura's freekicks are sheer genius whereas Adam's are just bad defending and goalkeeping. Who's scored the most and who got player of the year?

I think you are also right about Boyd, he wrong footed Boruc by taking it extremely well first time on the volley from an awkward angle. I would say the Celtic defence was far more to blame than a goalkeeper having to deal with an unchallenged twelve yard shot.

When you create enough chances, couple of them are bound to go in and boy did our team create plenty of chances.