[FT] Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:27, Soulsonic5791 said:

I'm not too sure that a midfield three neecessarily works

I agree, especially when we're not blessed with possession maestros. Coulibaly is not a possession player, he's in there to win the ball back and occasionally burst forward. Arfield has good end product, good off the the ball, vocal and a battler but often wasteful in possession. 

I think if we go with three against sides like Livingston who surrender possesion to us, we only want one anchor midfielder and two more creative players like Dorrans and Ejaria.

To be honest, like you, I'm not sure 3 in the middle is that effective in some of those games and we'd probably be better with a more direct approach with Morelos and Lafferty up top on the last man, Middleton and Candeias on the flanks for quick breakaways and crosses into the striekrs, and one ball winner and one ball player in centre mid.

To advocate 4-4-2 is anathema these days it seems but I think there's at the very least a place for it now and again.

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

To advocate 4-4-2 is anathema these days it seems but I think there's at the very least a place for it now and again.

If we could sort/drill the defence into how to play it effectively, the 3-5-2 is another option that has it's place.

• 1 month later...
On 30/09/2018 at 23:55, buster. said:

First stop is to see how we react on Thursday, it'll be interesting to see how SG plays it.

Hearts will have to be parked for the time being. I'd agree that the Hearts game is priority but come Thursday, a big crowd under floodlights should lift whatever team is played and I reckon it'll be pretty much the strongest available given that after the Hearts game it's another International break.

I reckon Livingston will probably take points from everyone at home, it's just a pity they had Miller in charge, away at the Brendenbeu first game of the season because the current way Celtic are playing, they ain't scoring at Livingston either.

Shameless bump

Another wee factoid

Much has been said about the Group stage Thursday/Sunday routine costing us points but I had a peek and it's yet to cost us a point. It might have played a part in the semi-final defeat to Aberdeen but I'd say it was more the lack of a decent dentre-forward that told.

Thu 20/09/18 UEL Villarreal 2 - 2 Rangers View events More info
Sun 23/09/18 PRE Rangers 5 - 1 St. Johnstone  

Thu 04/10/18 UEL Rangers 3 - 1 Rapid Wien View events More info
Sun 07/10/18 PRE Rangers 3 - 1 Hearts  

Thu 25/10/18 UEL Rangers 0 - 0 Spartak Moskva   More info
Sun 28/10/18 LEC Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers  

Thu 08/11/18 UEL Spartak Moskva 4 - 3 Rangers View events More info
Sun 11/11/18 PRE Rangers 7 - 1 Motherwell  

The league defeat at Livingston came on the back of the LC QF with Ayr, which is also where Morelos got thebooking that ruled him out of the semi-final.

Wed 26/09/18 LEC Rangers 4 - 0 Ayr United View events More info
Sun 30/09/18 PRE Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers  

Another way of looking at it is that we simply tend to do the business at Ibrox....which might make the next-up more challenging

Thu 29/11/18 UEL Rangers 21 : 00 Villarreal   More info
Sun 02/12/18 PRE Hearts 13 : 00 Rangers