Next season's first team squad

So here's a summary of our current first team squad, broken down in to a simplified format. I'm assuming we're looking to have two players for each position.

GK - Alan McGregor

GK - Stefan Klos (Leaving)

RB - Alan Hutton

RB - Looking to sign someone

CB - Davie Weir

CB - Ugo Ehiogu

CB - Kirk Broadfoot

CB - Andy Webster (Expected to sign)

CB - Karl Svensson (Only WS knows if he will stay or go)

CB - Sasa Papac (Expected to go if an offer comes in)

LB - Steven Smith

LB - Ian Murray

RM - Chris Burke

RM - Libor Sionko (Expected to go if an offer comes in)

CM - Kevin Thomson

CM - Brahim Hemdani

CM - Thomas Buffel

CM - Barry Ferguson

CM - Gavin Rae (Leaving)

LM - Charlie Adam

LM - Looking to sign someone

STR - Kris Boyd

STR - Alan Gow

STR - Jean Claude Darcheville

STR - Nacho Novo (Rumoured interest in him from Advocaat)

STR - Filip Sebo (Expected to go if an offer comes in)

STR - Dado Prso (Leaving)

I've discounted the following guys as they've not been regulars this year, have been signed for their long term potential and/or are behind other young players in the pecking order. For example, it seems to be widely accepted that WS is looking for a more experienced RB as cover for Hutton.

Alan LOWING

Steven LENNON

Steven CAMPBELL

Dean FURMAN

Lee ROBINSON

Antoine PONROY

Makhtar N'DIAYE

So, what does everyone think?

Nicely put together mate. I'm actually in the process of doing a transfer rumours/squad status for the main site which has something similar to the above.

Basically I make the same conclusions as you. In no particular order we need a back up goalkeeper, a back up right back (perhaps Murray/Broadfoot might be enough), 2 new wingers (one left/one right) and at least one more creative midfielder (depending on Buffel's situation).

That adds up to around 5 more players which with 3 players already being signed makes some sense.

We need another striker too... or Sebo to dramatically improve beyond all recognition.

Yeah, I agree. I don't see Gow as a striker - more of a link player - so I'd say we do need another striker per se.

I think with Rae moving on, we'll see Murray more as midfield cover next season as we have enough cover in Papac and Smith for LB.

We do need a RB though. Although Hutton is playing well right now (long may it continue!) he might go back to his old self after the summer and although ive heard good things about Lowing, i dont think WS will consider him as a fulltime back up player for the RB position quite yet.

Fergie, Hemdani and Thomson are sufficient for the CM position.

I dont think Buffel will be a ger next year.

Hopefully we'll get Brown in in the summer and himself & Burke (and Novo if he stays) can fight it out for the RM position.

We definately need another LM, especially with Prso leaving, i hated when he's put out there anyway. :(

Adam is doing a fantastic job smashing in the goals this season but he's not exactly a player who sets the heather alight with his ability in other departments other than shooting.

Unless Sebo and/or Novo leave, i dont think we'll be seeing anymore new strikers next season.

WS has already stated that there's players he'd like to move on, but that they're on 3 year deals, so he's stuck with them unless offers come in. That to me points to Sebo, Sionko, Papac and possibly Svensson.

Novo is a trier but he lacks the composure to be a first team pick whether its through the middle or out wide. If we can get money for him and replace him, then I'd take the cash.

Good post Mike, and it will all depend on who is heading out the door along with the ones we already know about.

IMO we should be signing a keeper. Who, I dont know, but id take Dudek on a free transfer if we could get him.

Id be a little surprised if Papac left now though as I think he could be a regular next season. It will be a tough choice between him and Smith for RB if Papac continues to improve on recent games. But at centre half we are covered enough if Webster signs and Svensson stays.

Can Ian Murray play RB? Thats the only position we really need cover for in defence. Hutton has been immense this year but we need cover for him. I think Ian Murray may be surplus to requirements as he is isnt going to get neat the starting XI, he will be 3rd choice LB, 6th choice CH and about 7th choice midfielder.

I hope Buffel stays unless we get an equivalent type of player. I hope we get Scott Brown, Lee McCulloch and another striker.