Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

I'm more disappointed in the fact that we still struggle to break down these park the bus tactics and still get caught out by the sucker punch than I am in the result as such. At the end of the day if it came to a choice between losing to the sheep on Sunday or losing to Killie in the league I would have opted for the sheep loss.

The league is and has to be our priority. I suspect Killie may not be as 'diddy" as the sheep clearly are and may come to play some football.  That suits us and more often than not will result in a win. I'm hoping for full points in the league before the January window when we may be able to bring in a solution to breaking down these sheep style teams.

And maybe Grezda is the solution. That remains an unknown. 

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm more disappointed in the fact that we still struggle to break down these park the bus tactics and still get caught out by the sucker punch than I am in the result as such. At the end of the day if it came to a choice between losing to the sheep on Sunday or losing to Killie in the league I would have opted for the sheep loss.

The league is and has to be our priority. I suspect Killie may not be as 'diddy" as the sheep clearly are and may come to play some football.  That suits us and more often than not will result in a win. I'm hoping for full points in the league before the January window when we may be able to bring in a solution to breaking down these sheep style teams.

And maybe Grezda is the solution. That remains an unknown. 

Can't agree tbh.

League Cup offered an opportunity of a trophy whilst it's fairly clear that we aren't ready to win the league this season.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Can't agree tbh.

League Cup offered an opportunity of a trophy whilst it's fairly clear that we aren't ready to win the league this season.

Understand your point though personally I see the league cup as somewhat of a paper cup in the current era and will always opt for points ahead of that if it were a choice between the two. I definitely haven't given up on the league. We're still well in the mix and a good run can see us remain there in the mix.

We have a good side/squad who can play good football. I'm simply looking for the management team to iron out what we might call the teething problems of a new team. Go into the Winter break on a good run and we're in it.

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Understand your point though personally I see the league cup as somewhat of a paper cup in the current era and will always opt for points ahead of that if it were a choice between the two. I definitely haven't given up on the league. We're still well in the mix and a good run can see us remain there in the mix.

We have a good side/squad who can play good football. I'm simply looking for the management team to iron out what we might call the teething problems of a new team. Go into the Winter break on a good run and we're in it.

It's going to take steady improvement and good recruitment over at least another couple of transfer windows for us to have a realistic chance over 38 games.

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

It's going to take steady improvement and good recruitment over at least another couple of transfer windows for us to have a realistic chance over 38 games.

Perhaps but you just never know. Only one or two players can make a massive difference and we have a window coming up. Plus I'm still hoping for Grezda to provide another dimension.

Well if one thing's for sure it's that Gerrard can't complain of a lack of options to mix things up for Killie, and most of us will be demanding he does.

1. Go with 2 up front with Lafferty coming in and Coulibaly dropping out
  2. Replace Coulibaly with Arfield and switch to a 4-2-3-1. Arfield increases our goal threat significantly when played in front of the midfield two.
  3. Start Middleton ahead of Kent and maybe Grezda ahead of Candeias. Grezda hasn't proved himself yet but he certainly looked a player with real end product in his Wyscout video. Middleton for me is a far better shooter and is more likely to play a killer pass or put something on plate for Alfie or Lafferty.

Plenty of options. Gerrard better use at least one of them and not go with the same tactics and style because we've toiled to create anything in the past few games.

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Well if one thing's for sure it's that Gerrard can't complain of a lack of options to mix things up for Killie, and most of us will be demanding he does.

1. Go with 2 up front with Lafferty coming in and Coulibaly dropping out
  2. Replace Coulibaly with Arfield and switch to a 4-2-3-1. Arfield increases our goal threat significantly when played in front of the midfield two.
  3. Start Middleton ahead of Kent and maybe Grezda ahead of Candeias. Grezda hasn't proved himself yet but he certainly looked a player with real end product in his Wyscout video. Middleton for me is a far better shooter and is more likely to play a killer pass or put something on plate for Alfie or Lafferty.

Plenty of options. Gerrard better use at least one of them and not go with the same tactics and style because we've toiled to create anything in the past few games.

With regards to point 1, does anyone else think Lafferty and Moreles aren't suited as a front 2? I just can't see SG playing the 2 of them together. Would prefer to see Morelos with a creative player with an eye for goal just off him (hopefully Grezda).

6 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

With regards to point 1, does anyone else think Lafferty and Moreles aren't suited as a front 2? I just can't see SG playing the 2 of them together. Would prefer to see Morelos with a creative player with an eye for goal just off him (hopefully Grezda).

I don't see why not. I think it is a great thing for any team to be able to switch between 1 up front and 2 up front comfortably depending on your opposition or as an in-game change in response to how things are going. We're not there yet because we've only tried 2 up front for part of the Motherwell game I think. I think 1 striker with 3 attacking midfielders not far behind can and should work too but we need to start giving Middleton and Grezda game time, there hasn't been anywhere near enough rotation.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I don't see why not. I think it is a great thing for any team to be able to switch between 1 up front and 2 up front comfortably depending on your opposition or as an in-game change in response to how things are going. We're not there yet because we've only tried 2 up front for part of the Motherwell game I think. I think 1 striker with 3 attacking midfielders not far behind can and should work too but we need to start giving Middleton and Grezda game time, there hasn't been anywhere near enough rotation.

Fair points DMAA but I can't see SG playing the 2 up top. 

Just now, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Fair points DMAA but I can't see SG playing the 2 up top. 

Unfortunately it's not looking promising. It severely limits your options in turning around a game imo when you can't switch to it. Especially in games like our last few when we can't get players forward to do anything like threaten the opposition goal.