Jamie Maclaren reveals Rangers fans threw coins at him

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm with you on the death penalty Gaffer, but only for people who don't clean up after their dogs. 

As for your second point I know what you're saying, however, I don't entirely agree. As a teenager 'trouble' at football matches was something of a right of passage. I'm not advocating it as a lifestyle choice now, or excusing it then, but I knew quite a few 16 year olds who enjoyed a bit of agro on a Saturday afternoon, indeed it was all part of the football experience for them. Most of them grew out of it. They got jobs or married or the testosterone coursing through them found other outlets. Granted I'm going back to the 1980s, but I think people can make mistakes or misjudgements at that age and still mature into 'normal' adults.

I often give thanks that social media didn't exist when I was a teenager, so all my many mistakes and misadventures are unrecorded and long forgotten, rather than being published for the world to see in perpetuity. 

If you decide to run for PM or FM with policies like that, I'll vote for you John! ??

I understand your point about the things we do as youngsters, but surely there should be no tolerance for this at games.  Where are the consequences, and is that not a prime reason for this behaviour being perpetuated?

I also noted Gonzo's subsequent post about ignoring coin throwing if done by another bear.  I'm shaking my head in disbelief at that.  I'd hope any real supporter of the club, and it's image, would want to remove such morons before the Rangers brand is tarnished.  Are we really so tribal that we will tolerate any behaviour if perpetrated by someone who just happens to follow the same team as us?  Where do you draw the line?  That lot across the city didn't appear to have a line, but I'd hope we'd be different.

6 hours ago, Gaffer said:

If you decide to run for PM or FM with policies like that, I'll vote for you John! ??

I understand your point about the things we do as youngsters, but surely there should be no tolerance for this at games.  Where are the consequences, and is that not a prime reason for this behaviour being perpetuated?

I also noted Gonzo's subsequent post about ignoring coin throwing if done by another bear.  I'm shaking my head in disbelief at that.  I'd hope any real supporter of the club, and it's image, would want to remove such morons before the Rangers brand is tarnished.  Are we really so tribal that we will tolerate any behaviour if perpetrated by someone who just happens to follow the same team as us?  Where do you draw the line?  That lot across the city didn't appear to have a line, but I'd hope we'd be different.

I totally agree with John on this. There was much more trouble at games inside and out in the 80/90s. As for coins; it was a health hazard if you were standing and further forward than half way. We live in a world of Moral Panic and are told how to behave, what’s bad/good, how we should react and everything is magnified intensely to suit peripheral agendas. It’s claustrophobic and alarming.

Im not suggesting it’s ok to throw coins, only that it’s blown out of proportion.

Edited by cooponthewing

13 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I'd hope any real supporter of the club, and it's image, would want to remove such morons before the Rangers brand is tarnished.

I shudder every time I see Rangers referred to as a 'brand'.  As for tarnishing our 'brand', the press tarnish us whether we behave or not.

You previously acknowledged that coin/cup throwing incidents must've been ignored by fellow fans in the vicinity of the perpetrator, so I fail to see why you are shaking your head in disbelief at my post. I realise online Bears are a bastion of moral integrity but some of us like to be honest at all times.

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I shudder every time I see Rangers referred to as a 'brand'.  As for tarnishing our 'brand', the press tarnish us whether we behave or not. 

IMO Rangers are not a 'brand' as such, the more accurate term for this is reputation.

Wrt football, only those teams at the very top of the game can seriously be considered as 'brands', ie. elite CL level with turnover into the hundreds of millions.

Edited by buster.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

You previously acknowledged that coin/cup throwing incidents must've been ignored by fellow fans in the vicinity of the perpetrator, so I fail to see why you are shaking your head in disbelief at my post. I realise online Bears are a bastion of moral integrity but some of us like to be honest at all times.

I am surprised you think it is just online bears that think this behaviour is okay. I think you will find that 99% find it vile. Whether they want (dare is probably a better word) to report it to the police is a totally different question.