Craig Levein stokes Rangers referee row

Craig Levein stokes Rangers referee row and blasts 'this is my livelihood'

Hearts boss insists he is entitled to his opinion on match officials after claiming Sunday's defeat to Rangers felt like his side were "playing against 13 men".
Craig Levein has ramped up his row with Scotland's referees and blasted: "This is my job, my livelihood".

The Hearts manager was furious with Bobby Madden and his team after Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Rangers in which Alfredo Morelos was shown to have scored the winner from an offside position.

Levein slated the whistler and his assistants, claiming it was like "playing against 13 men".

Former Scotland boss Levein is set to be carpeted by the SFA for his comments.
But he was unrepentant this morning as he previewed Wednesday's Premiership trip to face St Johnstone.

Levein said: “I criticise my players and I criticise myself.

p:nth-of-type(6)","type":"performPlaceholder","relativePos":"after"}'>

"If officials make the same blatant mistake seven times this season I should be entitled to say that.

"Of course I’m angry. This is my job, my livelihood.”
Hearts are on a run of five league matches without a win and have slumped from top of the table to fourth.

After Sunday's defeat to Rangers he blasted: “I read a quote from Neil Lennon a few weeks ago from when they went to Celtic Park, and he said they were playing against 12 men, and that’s how I feel. Actually, it was 13 we were playing against.

“The good thing is Neil Lennon didn’t get any punishment, it’s good to know.

“The referee was abysmal and we were playing against 13 men.

“That’s my view on it. It’s really good news there won’t be any punishment.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/craig-levein-stokes-rangers-referee-13684465

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

“The good thing is Neil Lennon didn’t get any punishment, it’s good to know.

I'm shocked that Levein doesn't realise that different rules apply to Lennon and he can get away with a lot that others would be pulled up for.

Lifted from FF

The Telegraph 06 September 2003

--------------------------------------------
Court suspends Levein ban

By Andrew Lomax

12:01AM BST 06 Sep 2003

Hearts manager Craig Levein yesterday won a legal battle to have a touchline ban suspended. Lord MacFadyen at the Court of Session in Edinburgh agreed to impose an order lifting the four-month ban while Levein fights the Scottish FA ruling.

The SFA imposed the ban on Thursday after Levein refused to pay a fine handed down following comments he made about referee Dougie McDonald following a defeat at Kilmarnock in May.

Hearts players Andy Webster and Austin McCann were sent off and Levein claimed he had lost count of the number of mistakes made by McDonald "after the 97th".

The Hearts manager was initially fined £1,000, but it was doubled twice as a result of his non-payment. Levein's lawyer Neil Davidson QC argued that the SFA had behaved "unlawfully" by first increasing his fine and then changing it to a touchline ban. He also claimed that Levein was being "stopped from carrying out his job" by the ban.

Levein has refused to pay his fine or appear before the SFA's general purposes committee at Hampden.

I'll go against the tide on this one (?)  and say I like what Levein is doing. I don't agree with him about Sunday's game but I also don't mind him fighting his own corner and if more managers stood up to the SFA there might be fewer corrupt arseholes there today. His reference to Lennon is superb and refusing to pay the fine is even better.

Steven Gerrard responds to Levein: Rangers had 14 men at Hearts thanks to fans

Steven Gerrard says Craig Levein was wrong to say Rangers had 13 men against Hearts - because the travelling fans' contribution made it up to 14.

Levein said after Hearts lost 2-1 to Rangers at Tynecastle that "it was like playing against 12 men", a comment on referee Bobby Madden's performance.

He then said it was 13, referencing the assistant referee's failure to flag Rangers' winning goal offside.

"Craig's entitled to his opinion," said Gerrard.

"Like I am when I speak about Hearts or Aberdeen or whoever it may be.

"I saw the interview when he said they were playing against 13 men. The only mistake I saw in the interview was that it was 14, because our fans were superb on the day. So it was probably 14 they played against."

Levein was also unhappy that Rangers goalscorer Alfredo Morelos avoided punishment, asking: "How many fouls can Morelos give away without being booked?"

But Gerrard responded: "Well, what we'll do then to make all the other managers in the league happy, we'll tell Alfredo not to compete.

"We'll tell him to just get kicked from pillar to post from the first minute to the last. We'll tell him just not to go near anyone.

"We'll make it non-contact for Alfredo, see if they all like it and then no one will complain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46443102