[FT] Rangers 3 - 2 HJK Helsinki (Arfield 29; Katic 53; Candeias 75)

Rusty but no big deal. Most top flight sides playing in Cup yesterday were the same.

Wouldn't read much into today, it was about getting minutes.

Barisic, fingers crossed but the lad seems to be made of glass. He's a real player and we could really do with a full 5 months from him for the rest of the season.

Football really starts again on Wednesday, that'll be the time we'll get a better idea of how we're shaping up.

When we were in possession, the diamond looked to have a bit of width. Defoe was through the centre, Morelos was wider, mostly on the left. Both Kent and Arfield took turns at the point of the diamond. Jack was the sitter. Davis was mostly left to Arfield's right on the diamond. As the manager said, the acquisition of both Defoe and Davis allows him to tweak formations.

In the first half, out of possession, the midfield diamond was narrow, and Helsinki played into out, often on the edge of our box after two passes. I think we lose the effectiveness of Alfredo the further wide he moves, Kent marginally less so. The back five will have to push further up, there are glaring gaps waiting to be exploited. In all my years, I cannot remember a whole team being replaced at half time?

Helsinki finished several weeks past, winning the league by 16 points. It was a good work out, and I thought the Finn's number 22 was a stand out. Tall, slim, slight of build, but moved the ball quickly. His passes with either foot often saw Helsinki playing with their backs to our goal, on the front foot. He looked under 21 and a genuine prospect. 

Edited by 26th of foot

11 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

3 Mins of Highlights ... all in all, not too bad. Some neat tricks by the Finnish forwards, BTW.

The Arfield finish looks fairly simple but is top class. 

The Finnish goalie and defenders played the tight possession game very well up until it cost them the 3rd goal and the match.

Moral of the story being is that it will always be a high risk strategy unless you have top quality players.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

The Arfield finish looks fairly simple but is top class

I've said it time and time again, he's such an important player due to his goalscoring ability. Very similar to Naismith in that he's such a natural finisher but scores from midfield.