The King And Queen In Scotland 1941

• pete locked this topic

This thread is now reopened but may be closed again if people can't avoid the usual political bunfights. 

As for moderation of this forum, please contact admin if you want to discuss such matters. 

Posters should know however that we are entitled to enjoy our weekends as well without having to waste time smacking bottoms on here. As such don't expect some moderation to be done immediately. 

7 hours ago, pete said:

God save the Queen! I hope we jump over the Bufoon that Charles is though.

Charles has talent which may be revealed one day. To be honest the succession beyond him doesn’t look too good either. The Princess Royal could probably hack it but you can’t pick and choose your monarchs

Thanks for posting a fascinating historical film. "Glasgow's great Ibrox Stadium". I wonder what the welcome would be like if the visit was repeated today?

Thankfully, we don't have a presidential head of state in this country and it's probably pointless to confuse the monarchy with the person who happens to fill the majestic shoes from time to time. But it seems nearly everyone needs to make a soap opera of the royal family. You have to wonder what purpose is served by calling the heir to the throne a buffoon? Surely it really only matters that there will be a king - that it happens to be Charles instead of someone else is largely irrelevant. Perhaps I'm just less aware of buffoonery but personally I think he'll make an excellent king.

Re. succession I don't think Her Majesty has faith in her eldest son hence why she is still Monarch.

With regard to heirs IMO Prince Harry is so in touch with reality that he would be a great Monarch but it is an archaic ruling system only fit for the tourism that it brings.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Thanks for posting a fascinating historical film. "Glasgow's great Ibrox Stadium". I wonder what the welcome would be like if the visit was repeated today?

Thankfully, we don't have a presidential head of state in this country and it's probably pointless to confuse the monarchy with the person who happens to fill the majestic shoes from time to time. But it seems nearly everyone needs to make a soap opera of the royal family. You have to wonder what purpose is served by calling the heir to the throne a buffoon? Surely it really only matters that there will be a king - that it happens to be Charles instead of someone else is largely irrelevant. Perhaps I'm just less aware of buffoonery but personally I think he'll make an excellent king.

Just my opinion mate and I agree with Mack 1950 below. The monarchy needs to be brought up to date and the best choice would be Harry to give it a modern image. You are right the family tree will decide but that doesn't always make it the best choice.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

They're Anglicans, so I find their 'Defender of the faith' title a tad hollow*.

I'm not convinced Harry is of the correct lineage to become king.  

*I realise Charles wants to alter this.

I thought Harry was just going to be an idiot when he was young but doing 2 tours of Afghanistan certainly changed my mind. i don't think he will get near the throne but he would certainly bring it up to date.

Just one thing. Anybody at 96 years of age should not be driving a car.