Tav and some incredible numbers

Everyone knows his exceptional goal and assist count but there is another thing that for me stands out over his time with Rangers and that is the very few minutes he hasn't been on the park during those four seasons.

The first of those was spent in the Championship and he started all 36 matches, coming off in two, missing a total of 28 minutes of the League season....In the Cups (inc. Challenge Cup), he started in all games (11) and came off once in the 81st minute.

In the next 3 seasons in the top tier and it's 38 matches (38x90mins= 3420 minutes) he's played...

16/17: 3145

17/18: 3358

18/19: 3234 (possible 3330mins / 1 game to play)

In our European run this season, he's played 1260 minutes out of a possible 1260.

The only two games he missed this season were Ayr Utd and Cowdenbeath in the Cups.

So this season he's played 57 competitive games but has only been booked once.

In the 4 years with us he's played 12950 League minutes from a possible 13410

Nor has he missed a minute of a European game and that is a total of 1440.

We won't know what we have until he is gone...or to put it another way, to help title aspirations for next season, we need to do everything possible to keep a hold of him.

Quiz ?

Can you think of an outfield player who has spent at least four years with Rangers, who has a better appearance  record than that ?

ps.

No-one tell Matt Polster or his Mrs might start to badger him for a move :thup:

Edited by buster.

Wow, that's incredible considering the number of games and when you also consider that for every minute in every game he's flying up and down that wing.  He must have run over 600km during competitive games this season without injury.  That's when you appreciate how athletic he is.

I think Tav received justified criticism in previous seasons because his defending wasn't good enough, and too often his positioning was poor also.  No one could ever have doubted his work ethic though.  There is a very noticeable difference this season which I believe is down to Beale and the rest of the coaching team who have been working on specific areas with him and some others.  Tav has obviously lapped this up because now I feel safe with him in there.  We couldn't have said that last season.  Isn't it great when you feel that players we either have already or bring in can be improved by the coaching staff.  I can't think of any coaching team we've had in the last 30 years which has given me any confidence in their ability to develop players.

Who is the full back in the Scottish game who is always getting talked up with much attention drawn to the amount of football he has played ?...Answer: Kieran Tierney

I don't argue that he isn't a good player but put his numbers beside that of Tav and ask WHY doesn't Tav get the recognition ? I wouldn't say it's just a media thing because our support don't give him the credit he is due either,..or at least IMO

Tav's League numbers minutes / goals......(Tierney in brackets)

15/16: 3234 / 10 goals......(1933 / 1)

16/17: 3145 /  1 goals...... (2160 / 1)

17/18: 3358 /   8 goals......(2632 / 3)

18/19: 3234 / 14 goals......(1745 / 0)

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Who is the full back in the Scottish game who is always getting talked up with much attention drawn to the amount of football he has played ?...Answer: Kieran Tierney

I don't argue that he isn't a good player but 'd put his numbers beside that of Tav and ask WHY doesn't Tav get the recognition ?

I wouldn't say it's just a media thing because our support don't give him the credit he is due either,..or at least IMO

Tav's League numbers minutes / goals......(Tierney in brackets)

15/16: 3234 / 10 goals......(1933 / 1)

16/17: 3145 /  1 goals...... (2160 / 1)

17/18: 3358 /   8 goals......(2632 / 3)

18/19: 3234 / 14 goals......(1745 / 0)

In fairness, Tav is in his physical prime whereas Tierney has been developing his physicality over those years and you can see the impact that its had in terms of possibly being over-played in the earlier phase of his career.

That said, your general point stands.