Your Current Starting XI

Aribo is about to be announced and barring any big bids for Morelos or Tavernier I think from here on in the focus will be on outgoings.

So what's your starting 11 as things stand? Here's mine;

McGregor

Tavernier           Katic      Goldson        Barisic

Davis/Jack   Kamara   Aribo

Arfield       Stewart

Defoe   

I think Barisic could flourish this season in a stronger team and in the 4-3-2-1 where he will finally have that left flank more or less to himself. He's not a great defender but he can be excellent going forward and all being well could rack up the assists very fast.  IMO Kent doesn't link up that well with full backs because he's mainly about dribbling. In this new formation there are some very good passers of the ball who can play Barisic in and he'll finally have the space he needs in front of him. I watched him for Croatia and that's exactly how they used him.

Aribo is a starting player. He's not a no 10 but will be brilliant on the left side of that 3, he's an all round midfielder who will win the ball back for us regularly and will be very good in possession.

If given the chance I think Stewart could have an excellent season. This position is made for Stewart. He's technically very good. He has good passing, vision, dribbling and shooting. A lot that we didn't have in that position before. And with those players around him he should score and assist plenty. I do wonder if he'll get the chance but if he does he'll be the player who'll surprise our fans the most.

Incredible as it is, Morelos doesn't make the starting 11 as long as we're playing this formation and Defoe performs. Defoe is an excellent player in excellent shape and this formation finally makes the most of his abilities. 

My only amendment would be Ojo/Kent (no surprise there from Kent's number one fan boy ?) for Stewart.  I agree with your assessment of Defoe.  Morelos should now realise that Defoe is the main man and he is the rival now.  Morelos has the potential to be a top player and I hope this is the year he gets it all together in his head because he's got the talent.

The signing of Aribo is hopefully the one we needed all of last season.  We are now looking good, except for one more central defender.  And our squad is much stronger in that 7 or 8 players could easily be pushing for spots in this starting 11.

We now need to ditch the dead wood.

One final thought I had was that they could arrange a bounce game in Portugal with Souness, Gerrard and McAllister in the midfield.  That would be an education for our players.

Edited by Gaffer

8 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

My only amendment would be Ojo/Kent (no surprise there from Kent's number one fan boy ?) for Stewart

I'm looking forward to seeing Ojo. From what I've seen he doesn't seem natural in a central position though which is why I've opted for Stewart but after last season I do think it unlikely that the Liverpool player won't start. 

Being a bit cynical I can't help but wonder if the management are just trying to appease the fans by making it look like they really tried for Kent. Word is that the loan fee is £1m and the wages must be significant too. We already have plenty in the position so I don't get it but time will tell.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Ojo. From what I've seen he doesn't seem natural in a central position though which is why I've opted for Stewart but after last season I do think it unlikely that the Liverpool player won't start. 

Being a bit cynical I can't help but wonder if the management are just trying to appease the fans by making it look like they really tried for Kent. Word is that the loan fee is £1m and the wages must be significant too. We already have plenty in the position so I don't get it but time will tell.

I hope you're wrong because I'd love to see him back.  £1m you think?!?  Ok, let me see what I can scrape together among family/friends.  I wonder if I can convince Club 1872 to help fund this great cause.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

So what's your starting 11 as things stand? Here's mine;

McGregor

Tavernier           Katic      Goldson        Barisic

Davis/Jack   Kamara   Aribo

Arfield       Stewart

Defoe   

You need to put two players in every position. No one is going to be playing every game. 

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

You need to put two players in every position. No one is going to be playing every game. 

No but I was only dealing with the starting 11 here. With Jack and Davis I just couldn’t decide. 

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

No but I was only dealing with the starting 11 here. With Jack and Davis I just couldn’t decide. 

What I’m saying is there won’t be a starting 11. There will be something like a starting 17 or so, rotated across the season and according to injuries and suspensions