Your Current Starting XI

18 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Why not Defoe?

As it stands, it would be Defoe....but I don't think we can go into a season depending on a 37 year old and expecting him to play week in week out.

I also think it's time to move Morelos on.

Excellent player he may be but you can't trust him and I don't think he'd be too happy or effective from the bench.

So if we move Alfredo and Lafferty on, we need 2 forwards.

One would be THE marquee signing, be suited to the formations SG is going to play and go into my starting XI, the other would be of a different style to Defoe.

Edited by buster.

If we're buying the Swedish defender at the prices quoted, surely he'll be our marquee signing.  I find that baffling but what do I know.

Edited by Gonzo79

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If we're buying the Swedish defender at the prices quoted, surely he'll be our marquee signing.  I find that baffling but what do I know.

I'm pretty sure the talk is that there will be another fairly big signing being made, but I don't know what that means. You need three very good centre backs going into a season so I think it's pretty clever.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

A marquee signing at centre forward could be a loan deal or it could be financed from incoming funds from a Morelos transfer.

There's a ruthless streak in Gerrard that I think will show itself in his handling of our squad and players fairly soon. Leaving Candeias out of the first Europa League squad, a player who made 33 appearances for us last season, was a glimpse of that. I think signing Edmundson and this pursuit of Helander is a sign that Gerrard wants every player to worry about his place. My player of the season last year was Goldson, he's our first pick centre-half, but perhaps not if Helander signs. That's a message to every player in that squad. 

Souness did this when he arrived. Signing Gough when we already had Butcher, Roberts and McPherson was a statement to the whole squad that no one's place was safe. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another left back, particularly if we get some money in, and clearly a forward or two is essential. 

55 minutes ago, DMAA said:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2u3vbr8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxxHeYSWkAAReoF.jpg:large

I knew I'd seen stats somewhere. The first link is the whole season and second link is first half of the season at Shrewsbury. 

On this evidence it's hard to deny he actually looks far more suited to playing further forward, his defensive and passing stats are surprisingly poor!

Thanks for that; that was interesting. I feel he's a really frustrating player! In the sense that he has a decent all-round game, but perhaps not a master at anything. Is that harsh?

You're right. However... :D 

His passing looks poor because he played further forward. (Having a look, he played CM/CAM, ahead of two DMs, in a 3-5-2 quite often.) From a team at the bottom of the league, I would expect a lot of high energy attacks, with little support, that fizzle out. I think that's what his stats show -- I certainly recall a lot of video clips of him running 50 yards plus to take a shot. 

His best attributes are dribbles, forward passes, passes into the box, touches in the box (I suspect the box at Shrewsbury would be pretty open?), and shots. All of that, to me, suggests he suits the RCM position in our team; that's what we'd need. He maybe doesn't have the controlled passing of a Kamara or Davis, but his ability to get forward by carrying the ball will be useful, I feel. I know I was rather frustrated at our inability to carry the ball past players last season, to open up space. 

His defensive duels and fouls interest me: he makes a lot of duels and fouls, but loses most of them. I suspect he's stopping counters. I doubt he'll win many, chasing back that way. Again, I think that suits a RCM role in our team. If we're countered, I'd like our players to foul. I don't need to tell you about Man City! The least little hint of a counter and Fernandinho has clattered the attacker! We need that. 

On 26/06/2019 at 08:51, DMAA said:

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Helander - Barisic

Kamara - Davis - Aribo

Ojo - Arfield

Defoe

On the basis of no evidence whatsoever I am ejecting Katic and bringing Helander into my strongest 11. Still think Murphy and Stewart will suit that position beside Arfield but have to give it to Ojo for now. 

Edited by DMAA