Your Current Starting XI

3 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Picking the team is going to be tough, but especially the defence.  We should just remind ourselves that last season we had Worral and McAuley.  I'm not saying they were poor, but they certainly weren't our strongest.  This season it could be argued (although I'm not necessarily claiming this to be the case) that we have now replaced our two weakest for the two strongest.  Edmundson must have played his way into the starting eleven, and when Felip is fit I think he will be in there too.  Having said that, I could equally feel comfortable with Goldson and Katic.  That's the good problem to have.  I think the more difficult problem to manage is the striker.  Morelos is a nightmare for defenders and I think he's great, but in our system I think Defoe is more potent.  I wonder how Gerrard will manage those two, especially against our tougher opponents.  To use them best it would be great to get Morelos on to batter them for 60 minutes and then replace him with Defoe but will either be happy with that?

I'd start with Morelos till he gets his inevitable yellow and is walking a tightrope, then bring on the more disciplined Defoe. I wanted shot of Morelos at one point but now I think even if we got a good fee we couldn't replace him. Problem if either gets injured though. Is Rudden ready yet? Might be worth trying Stewart there as he is not a traditional number 9.

I can't believe that Katic who was close to motm on Saturday and yet many have him as 4th choice. Even his build-up play is good. Until I have seen more of Helander and Edmundson Katic is first choice for me.

16 hours ago, pete said:

I can't believe that Katic who was close to motm on Saturday and yet many have him as 4th choice.

To be fair I don’t think anyone really has him as 4th choice, quite simply I don’t think any of us can be sure at this stage what our best pairing is. 

Edited by DMAA

4 hours ago, Gaffer said:

To use them best it would be great to get Morelos on to batter them for 60 minutes and then replace him with Defoe but will either be happy with that?

Last season Morelos had to play a full 90 every game, we couldn’t afford to sub him.

On Thursday Defoe lifted the team when he came on, he was sharp and injected new life into us. Morelos did the same when he came on against Derby. How many points will that be worth for us this season?

Imagine the dread for a centre back after an hour of chasing Defoe’s shadow and just when he’s finally starting to tire he sees Morelos’s number on the board. Or after an hour of being ragdolled by Morelos and he’s finally starting to make less off the ball runs and suddenly the master of off the ball runs has taken off his training jacket and is on the touchline. I’m looking forward to this season. 

In any 11 for me Aribo has to be one of the guaranteed starters. Opposition aside I watched his goal against progres countless times repeatedly tonight just drinking in the magnificent quick touch and control he displayed in taking it.

It's not on the level of this goal but he reminds me of the player scoring that goal and how great a player he was.     

15 hours ago, pete said:

I can't believe that Katic who was close to motm on Saturday and yet many have him as 4th choice. Even his build-up play is good. Until I have seen more of Helander and Edmundson Katic is first choice for me.

Back up centre forward too.  ;)