Your Current Starting XI

Katic was brilliant again on Sunday. He is a far better defender than Goldson and far better at playing the ball out of defence. Gerrard was pig-headed last season in not playing Katic, I hope he doesen't make the same mistake twice.

Katic is also a real threat in the box.  I know Goldson has scored twice already but Katic is the defender I wouldn't want to see in my box if I was an opposition player.

Is Mayo a CB or a full-back?

40 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Katic is also a real threat in the box.  I know Goldson has scored twice already but Katic is the defender I wouldn't want to see in my box if I was an opposition player.

Katic and Goldson are striving to become the new  Hately and McCoist by the way they have started the season !

43 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Centre back. As the number 5 in that position I doubt he’ll make an appearance this season. 

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Ooh, yes! Now my mind is going through possible back-three line-ups.

Did he say 3-5-2 specifically, or merely back-three? If it's the latter, I think he'd want to keep that narrow front three. 

McGregor

Goldson - Katic - Helander

Tavernier - Kamara - Aribo - Barasic

Arfield - Ojo

Morelos

Merely "back three" is what he said.

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have some decent CBs and a very good goalie, which allows Tav and Barisic to focus less on their defensive duties.  The problem might be keeping the four CBs happy - I doubt any of them want to sit on the bench most weeks.

For a midfield five, I'd go:

Tav Kamara Barisic

Arfield Aribo

With Ojo playing just off Morelos or Defoe.

For me, right now, a space MUST be found for Davis.  Yesterday it was abundantly clear what a fully fit, proper pre-season, Steven Davis can provide to us - was everywhere and created angles and spaces the whole time he was on the pitch.  Thought he was outstanding yesterday.

At this stage I doubt even Gerrard knows what his first 11 will be. Such depth to the squad which we haven’t had in sometime time may even mean a fluid first 11. Horses for courses approach.

There are some who will always start. McGregor and Tav as examples.