Your Current Starting XI

With the centre backs I have to admit that I simply don't know. I've put Goldson and Helander due to reputation as much as anything. Edmundson has looked the best out of the lot (by a distance on the ball) but that wasn't against strong opposition.

The centre mid  is very much a case of horses for courses, @Gaffer had a good post on this earlier in the thread. I've put Jack back in because I think Kamara's natural position is actually the deeper role which Davis is doing whereas Jack is better at bursting forward and supporting the attack, which is what we need more often than not. Docherty is brilliant at this too and should contribute very well this season when he steps in.

Ojo gets the nod alongside Arfield because despite not impressing much in his all round game he has two goals. Your job is to create and score in that position and so far Ojo has shown he can at least score.

Defoe is our best all round striker, his link up play is outstanding.

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Helander - Barisic

Jack - Davis - Aribo

Ojo - Arfield

Defoe

Edited by DMAA

18 minutes ago, DMAA said:

With the centre backs I have to admit that I simply don't know. I've put Goldson and Helander due to reputation as much as anything. Edmundson has looked the best out of the lot (by a distance on the ball) but that wasn't against strong opposition.

The centre mid  is very much a case of horses for courses, @Gaffer had a good post on this earlier in the thread. I've put Jack back in because I think Kamara's natural position is actually the deeper role which Davis is doing whereas Jack is better at bursting forward and supporting the attack, which is what we need more often than not. Docherty is brilliant at this too and should contribute very well this season when he steps in.

Ojo gets the nod alongside Arfield because despite not impressing much in his all round game he has two goals. Your job is to create and score in that position and so far Ojo has shown he can at least score.

Defoe is our best all round striker, his link up play is outstanding.

McGregor

Jack - Davis - Aribo

Ojo - Arfield

Defoe

I think that's spot-on. 

I'd like to see Stewart, though. 

It was interesting yesterday to see the uplift in threat level when Morelos came on. For all his flaws of temperament, I simply have to put him in my preferred starting line up ... if he stays.

Conversely, it's hard to see what Barasic brings to the team that Halliday doesn't do better and I've relegated him.

Edited by Bill

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think that's spot-on. 

I'd like to see Stewart, though. 

I'd love to see him get up to speed. Stewart is a really good player and that position Ojo has really suits his style.

I'd say the same for Murphy but unfortunately he looks to be about a month behind in terms of fitness. This formation is great for Murphy because it puts far less emphasis on pace than the 4-3-3. 

I'm a bit concerned that we might be expecting too much of Jones at this stage. I have to admit I really don't rate him, good pace off the bench to beat tired defenders maybe but to be a bit harsh he's a bit of a poor man's Ryan Kent...

Edited by DMAA

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

It was interesting yesterday to see the uplift in threat level when Morelos came on. For all his flaws of temperament, I simply have to put him in my preferred starting line up ... if he stays.

Conversely, it's hard to see what Barasic brings to the team that Halliday doesn't do better and I've relegated him.

Yes both fair points. I'm being a bit hopeful starting Barisic but the main reason I've got him in mine is that in the vast majority of our games we need the left back to operate as a winger and that means it is crucial that he is good at crossing. Pace helps too. Barisic beats Halliday there hands down.   

I'm still to see the final half hour of yesterday's game. Morelos is a big threat and great goalscorer, he just frustrates the life out of me with his poor ball retention, normally passing.

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Yes both fair points. I'm being a bit hopeful starting Barisic but the main reason I've got him in mine is that in the vast majority of our games we need the left back to operate as a winger and that means it is crucial that he is good at crossing. Pace helps too. Barisic beats Halliday there hands down.   

I'm still to see the final half hour of yesterday's game. Morelos is a big threat and great goalscorer, he just frustrates the life out of me with his poor ball retention, normally passing.

Tbh, I started out with the assumption that Barasic is the better player but when you actually think about it he almost never shows evidence of it. I don't know what's holding him back but his play is so inhibited that his actual contribution always disappoints. I'm staggered that Andy Halliday is still at Rangers but by the same token when he plays he almost always delivers. I'd rather have an effective journeyman than a master craftsman who never turns up.

Picking the team is going to be tough, but especially the defence.  We should just remind ourselves that last season we had Worral and McAuley.  I'm not saying they were poor, but they certainly weren't our strongest.  This season it could be argued (although I'm not necessarily claiming this to be the case) that we have now replaced our two weakest for the two strongest.  Edmundson must have played his way into the starting eleven, and when Felip is fit I think he will be in there too.  Having said that, I could equally feel comfortable with Goldson and Katic.  That's the good problem to have.  I think the more difficult problem to manage is the striker.  Morelos is a nightmare for defenders and I think he's great, but in our system I think Defoe is more potent.  I wonder how Gerrard will manage those two, especially against our tougher opponents.  To use them best it would be great to get Morelos on to batter them for 60 minutes and then replace him with Defoe but will either be happy with that?

10 hours ago, Rousseau said:

McGregor

Jack - Davis - Kamara

Aribo - Arfield

Defoe

It was interesting to see Aribo play further forward against Derby, have to say he played it very well, boy can pick a pass. A very interesting option (above). 

Edited by DMAA

Striker is indeed a difficult conundrum. Defoe has the knack of being in the right spot and can put them away with one touch while Morelos is very hard to stop when on a rampage. Obviously up to the manager to figure it out. But on the bright side these are welcome difficulties.