Steven Gerrard reckons Sheyi Ojo has what it takes to be Rangers superstar

STEVEN GERRARD reckons Sheyi Ojo has what it takes to become an Ibrox superstar.

The on-loan Liverpool ace marked his European debut with a goal in Rangers’ 4-0 rout of St Joseph’s.

Ryan Jack, Borna Barisic and Alfredo Morelos were also on target as Gers all-but booked their place in the second qualifying round.

Gerrard said: “Listen, Sheyi has got all the attributes and if this doesn’t work it will be because of Sheyi.

“He has got everything in the locker, he is quick, he is strong, he is powerful, he takes on information.

“From a manager’s point of view, you know he is going to take on the tactical information, you see him chasing back and making fouls and getting yellow cards.

“He knows that he needs to make this work. He is delighted to be here, he has settled in well and the fans are having him.

“Now he has got to build on that. Towards the end, I could see him coming down slightly.

“I want him to be ruthless from start to finish and he will get the numbers that he wants and that will satisfy everyone.”

Gerrard - who ruled out a move for Slavia Prague defender Simon Deli - revealed he’s closing in on his eighth summer signing.

The Gers boss said: “It will be a permanent deal for a defender. There is still a way to go but we have had some progress in the last couple of days.

“If things progress as they have in the last 48 hours, I’m hoping something will get done by the end of the week.”

Rangers were ruthless as they scored four second half goals in Gibraltar. Yet Gerrard insists there is still much more to come from his side.

He said: “We have got plenty to go and I think we are only 70 per cent or 80 per cent in terms of being match fit and tuned in.

“Scotty Arfield has just joined us so he will boost us again. We are in a good place, we are happy where we are up until now.

“Opposition like this is always a potential banana skin. It’s all about your mentality and attitude and across the park today we all turned up.

“If you take it back 12 months, you have to consider were weren’t match fit when we went to face FC Shkupi and we’re still not match fit so everything is against us - the conditions, the pitch, we’re not match fit, so it can be tricky at times and in the first half we did try to force it at times but we showed a great attitude and professionalism throughout.

“We backed ourselves the goals would come when we showed the patience. We’re a lot further forward than we were 12 months ago.

“Back then we came in and took over a job and there were a lot of things that needed to change and a lot of information we had to get to the players and it was going to take time to get the tactics across.

“At the start of last season, we had 23 players and everything was new to every one of them. We are a lot further forward than we were.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4465524/steven-gerrard-sheyi-ojo-rangers-superstar/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1562698858

I’m not going to get too carried away with Ojo just yet. He looks very similar to Odowu and Ejaria who both also started really well but couldn’t sustain any consistency.

A good start and here’s hoping third time lucky for us with this type of player.

I am going to get carried away. Th boy looks as if he has everything required to be a standout. He’s big and strong very athletic and has a great touch. Was being dished up some physical treatment by St Joes in what little I saw but it didn’t effect him. Good sign for the treatment he’s likely to get in the SPL.

A lovely goal topped off an encouraging debut.

10 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

looks very similar to Odowu and Ejaria who both also started really well but couldn’t sustain any consistency.

I think the Ejaria comparison is more valid in relation to Aribo because I think the two positions have slightly different pitfalls.  And I think there is more reason to be hopeful than there was with Oduwa, you can see in his highlights reel real ability at a fairly high level (Championship) which wasn’t there with Oduwa. As I’ve said previously Ojo has more ability than Kent from what I’ve seen but needs to show the work rate and desire we saw in Kent to succeed. 

10 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think the Ejaria comparison is more valid in relation to Aribo because I think the two positions have slightly different pitfalls.  And I think there is more reason to be hopeful than there was with Oduwa, you can see in his highlights reel real ability at a fairly high level (Championship) which wasn’t there with Oduwa. As I’ve said previously Ojo has more ability than Kent from what I’ve seen but needs to show the work rate and desire we saw in Kent to succeed. 

Ojo certainly looks like he has a far better scoring streak in him than kent. Looks very exiting indeed.  He has to watch not to get too greedy as yesterday he tried things himself when there were far better options on. If he now learns how to punch Scott Brown then he will be better than Kent. Kent bombing in from the left and Ojo from the right is certainly quite a proposition for defenders to face.

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Ojo certainly looks like he has a far better scoring streak in him than kent. Looks very exiting indeed.  He has to watch not to get too greedy as yesterday he tried things himself when there were far better options on. If he now learns how to punch Scott Brown then he will be better than Kent. Kent bombing in from the left and Ojo from the right is certainly quite a proposition for defenders to face.

Jones looked the part as well....and with the other options we have, I don't think we need Kent.

Importantly, Jones looked very comfortable with a Rangers shirt on his back and was very direct. I think he'll do very well with us and again, importantly he is our player. 

Develop one of our players rather than two of Liverpool's.

Edited by buster.

13 minutes ago, buster. said:

Develop one of our players rather than two of Liverpool's.

Definitely agree with you on that. I still kind of suspect Gerrard is appeasing the fans by making out that we are desperate to get him. Of course I could be totally wrong. 

Edited by DMAA

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

Importantly, Jones looked very comfortable with a Rangers shirt on his back and was very direct

He was similar to Kent on a stats graph I saw, way ahead of the pack when it came to attempted and successsful dribbles. From memory less so when it came the assist and goal related stats. If we don’t get Kent you can certainly see the role Jones could play. If we do I’ll be scratching my head if I’m honest, and I think Jones will be too. 

Edited by DMAA

Just now, DMAA said:

Definitely agree with you on that. I still kind of suspect Gerrard is appeasing the fans by making out that we are desperate to get him. Of course I could be totally wrong. 

Given circumstances, I could partly understand the short-term nature of it, if Kent was much better than any other option,... but I really think Jones is ready to make the slot his and defensively, if you set-up with Kamara, Jack and Davis it would help balance any defensive deficit on the part of Jones compared to Kent.

IMO Jones is the type of player (as is Ojo) who could really come on a bundle this year.