Premier League 2019/20

I didnt think City losing Kompany and now Laporte to injury would have caused them issues due to the fact they have the possession most of the time but Otamendi and Stones are very average. Fair play to Norwich, they were at it from the kick off and played good stuff.

City overturned a 5 point difference (maybe 7 at one point) around December so they can easily do it in September. I think Pep will need to reshuffle though. I can see Fernandinho playing at centre back like Javier Mascherano did for Barca or perhaps Walker being moved in one like he did for England.

Newcastle gifted Liverpool into the game, the goal for 2-1 was a double error in loss of possession and then the keeper was awful. Liverpool go to Chelsea next weekend so the gap could be closed.

A terrific win for Chelsea yesterday at a ground I thought they would lose, has the Europa curse struck Wolves!

I've had the wireless on since six this morning and it amazes me the number of presenters gloating because Manchester city got beaten then again this is Britain we dont seem to like winners or success,  the league isn't six games old and some are telling  us city will struggle I think they have got it wrong and come next May city will I think win it again. 

Villa v West Ham was one of those rare good 0-0s. Either side could have won it so the draw is probably fair.

The league table starts to take shape on weeks 5-8 but already the top 8 are already the usual 6 plus Leicester and West Ham who are two who want to break into the top 6.

Villa, Newcastle and Wolves are in the bottom 4. Thats 3 huge clubs. Villa obviously just back up to the top flight, its all about cementing their position in the league this season. Wolves wanted to kick on from last season so need to get going, I thought with the European flair they have in their team the Europa wouldnt affect them but its a curse of a tournament. Newcastle to be fair have had tough fixtures - Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool in their first 5 but its the Watford and Norwich type of teams where they need to pick up points and 1 point from those 2 games isnt good.

Gribz is right. The bottom four of the table is loaded with prestige plus Watford. I would like Wolves, Villa and the Magpies to stay up but slow starters are often still in the basement at the end though there is usually one Lazarus-like recovery. Palace and WBA have done it in the past, Albion more than once. Of the four I expect Watford might scrape through.

I agree with Scott there, I like to see the prestige clubs do well and want a competitive league. Villa will take time to get back up the table. Its Newcastle and Steve Bruce you fear for though.

Anyway, Man City defensive worrys increase with Stones out for six weeks leaving Otamendi as the only recognised centre half who is fit. Its a test for Pep as the current greatest coach in the world to step up and find a solution with either the youngsters or playing others in the role. To go into a season with Champions League, Premier League and 2 cups with only 3 centre halves in the first place was a poor decision. I can only imagine FFP being the decision to not sign a defender. But they spent 60m on a full back from Juventus when he already has Kyle Walker. 

Edited by Gribz

Guardiola must reckon a proper defending CH would disturb the clockwork rhythm of the team so he gambles on scoring more than he concedes. OK, I suppose, if you don’t let in more than two because City can usually get three. Unfortunately at the weekend, the Canaries were singing from a different hymn sheet.

Some good games this weekend, Sunday throws up a good few games.

Friday:

Southampton 2-1 Bournemouth

Saturday:

Leicester 2-1 Tottenham

Burnley 1-0 Norwich

Everton 2-0 Sheff Utd

Man City 4-0 Watford

Newcastle 1-0 Brighton

Sunday:

Crystal Palace 1-1 Wolves

West Ham 2-1 Man Utd

Arsenal 2-0 Aston Villa