Steven Gerrard calls for Ibrox crowd to help Rangers skipper James Tavernier through form dip

13 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Methinks Papac was not a full-back from the off, but used as one and took that role for himself.

You're right, he was signed as a centre back because the ones he had already signed (Svensson) were rubbish. Ultimately Papac got moved to left back where he made the position his own, but he didnt exactly start poorly at Rangers and then come good, he was fairly solid all the way through his Rangers career.

Ricksen was a total bombscare as a full back, absolutely rubbish. Slightly better in midfield for half a season (when in discussions for a new contract) after 4.5 years of utter dross.

Dont really see the comparisons to Tav and Barasic myself, but to me while Barasic made a few mistakes and his form wasnt great from the off, I thought there was a player there from the get-go and thought talk of Halliday or Flanagan being a better option was laughable. Tav has steadily improved his defending over his time with us, but there are obviously still improvements to be made on that side of his game.

21 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

You're right, he was signed as a centre back because the ones he had already signed (Svensson) were rubbish. Ultimately Papac got moved to left back where he made the position his own, but he didnt exactly start poorly at Rangers and then come good, he was fairly solid all the way through his Rangers career.

Fans were calling for him to be dumped.  He did have a poor start.

Also...Ricksen was 'rehabilitated' before moving to midfield.

Edited by Briton

50 minutes ago, onevision said:

Thought Tav played well last night showing no signs that his confidence had took a hit.

He was rarely tested defensively, such was our dominance.  So a good game for him to get under his belt in terms of building his game back up.

Tav has been performing at such a high standard consistently for a long time now which means any slight dip in form is seen as a disaster! he hasn't been playing that bad, just his level had dropped a wee bit! all in my opinion of course.

Well, he had a few rash attempts when a pass would have been better, but wasn't really tested either. Thus, he could do what he does best instead of concentrating on defending. No critique, just saying.

Tav set a high standard in his first season, albeit in the Championship, he produced fine free-kicks and goals from open play. After that season, his standard at corners, free-kicks et al has not been the same. He's got talent for whipping in a few dangerous crosses every game ... but I would expect that from a wingback at our club.

40 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Well, he had a few rash attempts when a pass would have been better, but wasn't really tested either. Thus, he could do what he does best instead of concentrating on defending. No critique, just saying.

Tav set a high standard in his first season, albeit in the Championship, he produced fine free-kicks and goals from open play. After that season, his standard at corners, free-kicks et al has not been the same. He's got talent for whipping in a few dangerous crosses every game ... but I would expect that from a wingback at our club.

Did you not watch us last season?

Tav was one of our best players.  Not only were his assists and goals scored stats incredibly good, his overall play was vital to the team.  His improvement defensively from his early period at the club is also fairly obvious to anyone who watches us on a week-to-week basis.

Of course the obvious goal conceding mistakes he's made are worthy of criticism but to suggest he's anything other than a key player for us is bizarre.

37 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I dont recall that but I'm happy to trust your memory which very possibly is much better than mine?

I didn't see him live in his early days but Rangers fans online were certainly not happy with him.  This was back before these type of forums but I remember defending him for a while on Usenet in the  Rangers group.   Most didn't rate him although the majority of the team were being slagged TBF.