Filip Helander

4 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

He looks slow at times to me, makes up for it in experience/positioning  possibly.

Yeah; a few times he seemed to me to have struggled for pace. 

Mind you, if he was a genuine speedster, it is unlikely he would be playing here. 

8 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

He looks slow at times to me, makes up for it in experience/positioning  possibly.

1 minute ago, Uilleam said:

Yeah; a few times he seemed to me to have struggled for pace. 

Mind you, if he was a genuine speedster, it is unlikely he would be playing here. 

The best Rangers centre back of the last 12-13 years is David Weir

I actually thought he looked quite fast, and certainly much quicker than Goldson!

His excellent positioning is key to his overall game, and if Goldson is now taking his position off Helander, then the improvement in Goldson's positioning will also be contributing to us losing less goals.

I don't think Helander's pace is an issue.

I've seen him beaten once or twice in that regard but only because he was having to turn from a standing start and was up against a fairly quick player.

Generally, I was quite surprised when we signed Helander - especially given the outlay - but, all things considered, he's been a good buy and has shown why he's played at a good level in his career.

4 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Not much competition, there, it has to be said...

He was a key member of a side who dominated domestically and took us to a European final so I don't think more competition would have changed much

Just now, DMAA said:

He was a key member of a side who dominated domestically and took us to a European final so I don't think more competition would have changed much

He didn't have much competition to be called the best Rangers' centre back of his period. 

He was a significant player, agreed. 

7 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I don't think Helander's pace is an issue.

I've seen him beaten once or twice in that regard but only because he was having to turn from a standing start and was up against a fairly quick player.

Generally, I was quite surprised when we signed Helander - especially given the outlay - but, all things considered, he's been a good buy and has shown why he's played at a good level in his career.

You may be right, and I am making too much of a few isolated incidents. They were, though, sufficiently obvious for me to utter "Pace", with sharp intakes of breath. 

Anyway, let's see how he gets on after the break.