Filip Helander

23 hours ago, pete said:

Goldson is certainly not fast, he has been stripped for speed a good few times

I think Goldson would beat Helander in a race.

It seems that the manager thinks he is quick enough too.

"Connor Goldson doesn’t get injured, he doesn’t get suspended, and his performance levels in the main have been pretty consistent."

"He’s quick, he’s strong, he’s good in the air and he’s a leader."

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think Goldson would beat Helander in a race.

It seems that the manager thinks he is quick enough too.

Speed in a straight forward race is different from speed in a football match, during a game any player can be beaten with speed due to the simple fact of changing direction, how the ball falls, a wee bit of luck...………………………, Goldson isn't slow! Helander isn't slow! in fact our whole game play is set on speed

This is ridiculous. I'll ask the question again - what does slow mean?

Is it 1m/s ... 2m/s ... 3m/s ... or what? Or is it defined in terms of acceleration - if so, what is the threshold between slow and fast? Who has actually been measuring these factors and what apparatus did you use to do it?

Or is "slow" merely something baseless we say when we want to be critical of a player? Why don't we just stick to the time-honoured "he's shite"? At least that had the merit of being a purely subjective and dimensionless expression and would avoid the pretence of actual knowledge.

Edited by Bill

22 hours ago, Frankie said:

I really don't understand this insistence from some fans to unfairly criticise our players.

I've only seen Helander outpaced twice that I can remember - both by Lyndon Dykes and both because a) Dykes is pretty quick and b) Helander was having to turn from a standing start on a sticky, artificial pitch.

Helander has been up against players like Berghuis, Larsson, Nsame, Margega and Ze Luis in European games as well as O'Halloran, Dykes and others domestically.  None of these players are slow and few have had the better of Helander (or Goldson for that matter) when it comes to getting in behind.  And I wouldn't say we play a particularly deep defensive line.

Generally, attackers are quicker than defenders which is why positioning is so important for centre-halves in particular and also why teams play more defenders than opposition attackers so they can cover for each other where and when required.

All things considered pace isn't the be all and end all for centre-halves so I'm surprised when folk make an issue out of it.

Also what you find with defenders is they are mostly tall and have extendable legs. Forwards think they are past them just to see a leg appearing from nowhere and taking the ball. Further I agree the reading of a game is far more important than super pace. It would be great to have the two things of course but they players are not affordable to Rangers.

22 hours ago, Bill said:

This is ridiculous. I'll ask the question again - what does slow mean?

Is it 1m/s ... 2m/s ... 3m/s ... or what? Or is it defined in terms of acceleration - if so, what is the threshold between slow and fast? Who has actually been measuring these factors and what apparatus did you use to do it?

Or is "slow" merely something baseless we say when we want to be critical of a player? Why don't we just stick to the time-honoured "he's shite"? At least that had the merit of being a purely subjective and dimensionless expression and would avoid the pretence of actual knowledge.

When a player gives you 5 metres of a start and leaves you 10 metres behind i think would make you slow.?

2 hours ago, pete said:

When a player gives you 5 metres of a start and leaves you 10 metres behind i think would make you slow.?

Is that over five furlongs or five hours? Or is this just the rhetorical mile?