Leon King in Rangers contract snub...

Leon King in Rangers contract snub as Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea eye Ibrox starlet

The Light Blues fear they could lose the highly-rated youngster in the same vein as Billy Gilmour.

Rangers fear they could lose Ibrox starlet Leon King - in the same way Billy Gilmour left for Chelsea.

The young defender, who doesn’t turn 16 until January, has turned down Gers’ initial offer of a first professional contract.

And Mail Sport understands that Premier League giants Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea - as well as German outfit RB Leipzig - are all monitoring his situation.

Glasgow-born King is rated as one of the most prodigious talents in the Rangers Academy and featured for their development side aged just 14.

At 15, he’s currently part of Scotland’s Under-17 set-up, such is the centre-back’s huge potential.

With the national team, he plays beside Liam Morrison who left Celtic for Bayern Munich in a similar move last summer.

Rangers were stung in July 2017 when they couldn’t agree a professional contract with midfielder Gilmour.

A year before his youth registration at Ibrox was up - similarly to the King scenario now - they agreed a fee of around £500,000 for Gilmour who left for London.

He’s now part of Frank Lampard’s first team squad at Stamford Bridge and made his Premier League debut this season.

King is in the same boat and Rangers are desperate to keep him at the Hummel Training Centre

But after turning down the first offer of a pro deal, the likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leipzig - who’ve watched King for over a year - are ready to pounce.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/leon-king-rangers-contract-snub-20945997

So If we are going to lose any player who looks the part  would we be better off not investing in a youth system and just acquire a squad as needs be?   A rhetorical question as it's not going to happen but it does make you wonder who we are going to bring through under those circumstances.

24 minutes ago, Briton said:

So If we are going to lose any player who looks the part  would we be better off not investing in a youth system and just acquire a squad as needs be?   A rhetorical question as it's not going to happen but it does make you wonder who we are going to bring through under those circumstances.

It has only happened with one other player, Gilmour, nonsense to suggest we should scrap the youth system, we have a lot of talent in the youth teams who may be good enough for our first team eventually.

Also this hasn't happened yet, most 1st contract offers are rejected.

24 minutes ago, Briton said:

It's an interesting point and one I think there's a good argument for it. All I would say is that not every kid who shows massive potential at 15 realises it, and many a kid who didn't look like they'd make it at 15 goes on to have a stellar career. Elfideldo tells of seeing Michael Stewart play as a schoolboy, he turned down our offer and signed for Man Utd, a club with a fantastic record of nurturing talent, but failed to live up to the expectation. 

I don't know much about the lad King other than he seems to be highly prized, however it's hard to make a strong argument for him to stay with Rangers currently which is a real shame. 

37 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It has only happened with one other player, Gilmour, nonsense to suggest we should scrap the youth system, we have a lot of talent in the youth teams who may be good enough for our first team eventually.

Also this hasn't happened yet, most 1st contract offers are rejected.

Can you read? I said it was a rhetorical question.  Nonsense my arse. Yes it's only happened to Gilmour because he's the only one who has looked that bit special.  That's the point...as soon as anyone comes along that looks a real asset we will probably lose them.

35 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

It's an interesting point and one I think there's a good argument for it. All I would say is that not every kid who shows massive potential at 15 realises it, and many a kid who didn't look like they'd make it at 15 goes on to have a stellar career.

That's another thing about youth development, it's a bit of a lottery. 

6 minutes ago, Briton said:

Can you read? I said it was a rhetorical question.  Nonsense my arse. Yes it's only happened to Gilmour because he's the only one who has looked that bit special.  That's the point...as soon as anyone comes along that looks a real asset we will probably lose them.

Aye, I can read!.