Leon King in Rangers contract snub...

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I can't see that ever happening when the most successful and influential clubs benefit from the current system. The objective for Rangers is to be one of the clubs that use the present system in its own interests.

You may well be right, but while I know nothing of the details and Spanish practices of the player loan system in La Liga, I notice that one Martin Odegaard played for Real Sociedad against Real Madrid last night, although he is on loan to the former, from the latter. 

On 25/11/2019 at 11:13, craig said:

And Gilmour is making first team appearances for Chelsea now - what’s your point again ?

My point is he could have been playing for us! And regularly. With the upcoming talent we have (McPake, King, Mebude, Kennedy et al) we could be close to something like the Man U class of '92. Don't tell me most Rangers supporters would not want to see that? Otherwise we just harvest youngsters for the wealthy few.

Hamilton had a 17 year old called Jamie Hamilton playing a centre half at the weekend. 17 and marking Jermain Defoe! 

Given his stage of development and his current ability, when would he get a look in and playing regularly for our first team if we had signed him rather than Hamilton?

Not for many years, and Leon King may be looking at it and thinking the same.

55 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Hamilton had a 17 year old called Jamie Hamilton playing a centre half at the weekend. 17 and marking Jermain Defoe! 

Given his stage of development and his current ability, when would he get a look in and playing regularly for our first team if we had signed him rather than Hamilton?

Is it likely to be any different at the allegedly interested EPL clubs?

21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Is it likely to be any different at the allegedly interested EPL clubs?

From that side, no, but presumably they'll pay better.

If we're not able to offer a route into the first team, then it does come down to cash.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

My point is he could have been playing for us! And regularly. With the upcoming talent we have (McPake, King, Mebude, Kennedy et al) we could be close to something like the Man U class of '92. Don't tell me most Rangers supporters would not want to see that? Otherwise we just harvest youngsters for the wealthy few.

I can't remember a time when we've not had upcoming talent, the problem is it rarely makes that final step into our first team. We'd a spell in the early 2000s when Hutton, Stevie Smith, McGregor and Adam all followed Barry Ferguson to become first team players and made decent contributions. Previously players like Scott Wilson, Steven Pressley, Craig Moore, Charlie Miller, Maurice Ross, Chris Burke, John Fleck, Barrie McKay and Lewis McLeod have made some sort of impact on our first team but currently there's no one even in our first team squad we can point at and say to any promising young player 'that could be you'. Barjonas seems to be forcing his way back into some sort of contention but he's far from the first team. But would anyone be surprised if McPake, King, Mebude and Kennedy don't make it at Rangers? Frankly I'd be more surprised if they do. 

It's likely to be an ongoing problem for sometime to come.

Another problem may be holding on to our manager if we continue to excel and progress in Europe. All of the teams in our group have a greater value than us on transfermarkt. In the case of Feyenoord close on twice as much and Porto in excess of 5 times as much.

The English scoff at our league and expect Rangers to be dominant in Scotland due to a financial advantage but in Europe we're the ones at a disadvantage yet Gerrard is still winning. I expect offers to come his way but hopefully he's invested too much to give up now.

If he proves to be like Klopp he will at least out his contract.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Sure but he gets to mark Defoe every day. Or certainly could be given that chance 

40 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I can't remember a time when we've not had upcoming talent, the problem is it rarely makes that final step into our first team. We'd a spell in the early 2000s when Hutton, Stevie Smith, McGregor and Adam all followed Barry Ferguson to become first team players and made decent contributions. Previously players like Scott Wilson, Steven Pressley, Craig Moore, Charlie Miller, Maurice Ross, Chris Burke, John Fleck, Barrie McKay and Lewis McLeod have made some sort of impact on our first team but currently there's no one even in our first team squad we can point at and say to any promising young player 'that could be you'. Barjonas seems to be forcing his way back into some sort of contention but he's far from the first team. But would anyone be surprised if McPake, King, Mebude and Kennedy don't make it at Rangers? Frankly I'd be more surprised if they do. 

Which begs the question? Whose fault is it? Look at the player Fleck has become; at the time we tried to turn him into some sort of Rooney but in fact he's turned out to be much more of a Billy Bremner type.

27 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Which begs the question? Whose fault is it? Look at the player Fleck has become; at the time we tried to turn him into some sort of Rooney but in fact he's turned out to be much more of a Billy Bremner type.

I don't think there's any one person to blame, rather it's a cultural thing around the club. The need to win every match makes it hard to introduce young players, who will inevitably make mistakes, and put pressure on the manager. The support, particularly the home support, are pretty unforgiving of mistakes, we're not good at making allowances for inexperience. I also think the support clamour for 'big signings'. they create a buzz, excite people and help sell season tickets and merchandise. Announcing your building the side around two 18 year olds from the reserves simply doesn't do that. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that young players are better off beginning their careers at smaller clubs. There is less pressure, more first team opportunities and the opportunity to move if you do well. There are always exceptions to this but I think the current system, where small clubs sign the players who don't make it at big clubs is the wrong way around. Yes, facilities are better at the bigger clubs, but nothing beats first team football.