The Sun and Daily Record content banned from site

5 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Great idea.

It's a good idea but not workable financially I'd say when they've just spent a lot of money on new software and apps which are due to launch imminently - as well as new price brackets as well which might not enthuse everyone.

However, a decent discount should be achievable in the first instance at the very least.

13 hours ago, JohnMc said:

As a rule I'm generally against banning the media.

If you don't like something don't read it. Don't buy it, don't click it, don't share it. I've not read the article in question and don't think I've ever bought the Sun so this doesn't really affect me much. Bill Leckie was never a writer I thought had much to say and from what I hear that's not changed. 

I've felt for a while Morelos is treated differently from other players by the media. I think race does play a part in this. The fact his English isn't great and he's South American has certainly led to some very lazy stereotyping, and there's an almost Fawltyesque default to a depressingly high number of people in this country when it comes to 'foreigners', our local media aren't immune to this. When that's added to him playing for Rangers then you've got the perfect storm for some. 

Morelos clearly irks opposition supporters. You get players like that, beloved by their own and hated by everyone else, Morelos is one of those. The Aberdeen supporter's bringing in a banner was crass and an embarrassment to their club who should have removed it and banned those involved. But was it worse than the song we (I) sang to Frank McGarvey many moons ago? I've never met the said Mrs McGarvey but I apologise to her now, I wonder if she reads Gersnet... Likewise I cheered along with almost everyone else in the old Rangers end at Parkhead when a particularly distasteful banner was unfurled in the rafters under the roof about the recently deceased Celtic director Demond White. The Celtic support, most of who could read it clearly, were going mental, whilst we cheered and laughed and Strathclyde's finest sought a sharpshooter as there was no other way to get the lads down. Again, not my finest moment.

In my defence I was only a teenager, I'm not the brightest now but I was particularly stupid then. Everyone else was doing it so I joined in, I gave no thought whatsoever to the actual people involved. In part I think that's because I didn't see them as 'real' people. They were people I read about in the papers or saw on TV, they were basically celebrities, and so treated differently. A couple of years ago I walked from Sloans in Argyle Arcade to the taxi rank at Central late on a Saturday night in the company of a minor local celebrity and his wife. It must have taken us 30 minutes to cover the distance, a normal walk of around 5 minutes. Every drunk wanted a selfie, or to shake his hand or to tell him he was great. But some wanted to tell him he was a dick, almost all completely ignored his wife and the rest of our party, we were invisible, our desire to get a taxi home was inconsequential to their right for a new profile pic and a dull anecdote over lunch the next day, 'you'll never guess who I seen last night in Buchanan Street...'.  He smiled, obliged, did the voice and played his part. I'd have hooked the first guy that pushed past my wife for a better angle on their Samsung, I'd have ignored every friendly 'hello big man' and would have almost certainly reacted badly to anyone who called me a dick in front of friends and family (even if they might have been correct!).  I wouldn't have swapped his life for mine for any amount of money.

Morelos is a celebrity in our wee corner of the globe. He's operates to different rules from the rest of us, that's why warmers like Leckie write about him. I suspect there's more than a hint of politics to this too. I imagine the Scottish Sun is finding Rangers something of a cold house currently. Gerrard won't be doing exclusives or feeding them tit-bits, I'm certain of that. Gerrard is Scouse, he knows how much the paper is hated in his home town and he knows the consequences for anyone who doesn't follow that code. There's a reason why Souness, one of Liverpool's greatest ever players, doesn't get many invites back to Anfield and that reason is the Sun. I suspect all of our backroom team follow a similar code too, they're all ex-Liverpool and might harbour ambitions to return there one day. It's also obvious that Morelos isn't a fan of the limelight off the pitch. He seems to be a quiet living guy, he's not a regular at the dancing, he's yet to be photographed barely conscious outside a kebab shop and he's not really playing the media game. There are a noticeable lack of interviews with him, no daft photos of him with a sombrero on, or beside some Tennent's girls or whatever their modern equivalent is. Morelos doesn't seem to be much interested in that side of celebrity, he just likes playing football and scoring goals. 

Add to that the rise of the club's internal channels, places like this and wall-to-wall Sky/BT Sport and the rest and there's a fair degree of choice now to get my Rangers fix. Anything the Sun has as an exclusive will be all over social media within minutes of breaking. The media has changed immeasurably in recent years, I don't think Bill Leckie has. 

Gersnet is independent, Frankie and the people behind it have always struck me as reasonable and fair. As such they can ban whoever they want, it's their site. What I'd say is you need to go some to get a ban from here. Simply having a contrary opinion isn't enough, I can testify to that. I wonder if anyone at the Sun cares. They should, sport, and football in particular, is what's kept them going for years. If we're no longer interested in what you've got to say on that then the Sun has a problem that it's running out of time to fix. 

A great post which I'm going to publish on the main site... :whistle:

As much as I sympathise with this, no one should need a discussion forum to ban the Sun or the Record. Everyone who takes part here should have enough sense to refuse anything to do with these newspapers without having their hand held. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to quote these rags shouldn’t be here.

The one thing that coul be held against a 100 % ban is that you are well adviced to keep and have some evidence of their assault and/or defamation on/of our club. E.g. the OP mentions Leckie's article regarding Morelos, but has no link or text sample. It will be in memory just now, but in a month's time it will be buried under new information and news. Not a problem that bothers me much, as we have a "Freedom of the media" thread over on the German board for discussion and mainly reference.

54 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

The one thing that coul be held against a 100 % ban is that you are well adviced to keep and have some evidence of their assault and/or defamation on/of our club. E.g. the OP mentions Leckie's article regarding Morelos, but has no link or text sample. It will be in memory just now, but in a month's time it will be buried under new information and news. Not a problem that bothers me much, as we have a "Freedom of the media" thread over on the German board for discussion and mainly reference.

It's a fair point and there are downsides to having a ban as you've highlighted, but we believe a stand has to be made.

6 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

It's a fair point and there are downsides to having a ban as you've highlighted, but we believe a stand has to be made.

John's post about the ban is now on the main site which helps detail why we've come to this decision for anyone who's interested going forward.

https://gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/1123-dinosaur-journalist-left-in-the-past-as-gersnet-bans-tabloid-content

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

I'm presuming screenshots are ok dB but I'm not 100% on that? Ask admin.

Club1872's statement shows the club are keeping an eye on the press, so there's little requirement for evidence to be compiled here.

Article's like Leckie's are best ignored.

Edited by Gonzo79